HELP! Having Trouble Deciding on a Laptop for School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, so I'm in the process of purchasing a laptop for University and was hoping someone could help me out with a couple questions I have.

1) How does the AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8GHz/1MB), perform against the Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3500+? Would both perform well for a school laptop?

2) How much better is the ATI RADEON® Xpress1270 HyperMemory™ than the ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 with 256MB HyperMemory? Would both be good enough for basic office and internet use?

3) Is the AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8GHz/1MB) with the ATI RADEON® Xpress1270 HyperMemory™ worth about 150$ more than the Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3500+ and ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 with 256MB HyperMemory? Should I not bother with the upgrade for 150$?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. Most of this stuff goes right over my head!

Rina

1. A sempron is a much older (single core chip). The turion is far better.

2. Any laptop is capable of graphics for basic office and internet use. Even cheap ones.

3. yes. Ensure you maximize the RAM on any laptop you buy. It would also be wise to buy a faster rpm hard drive.

4. Please post in the correct forum next time. (mobile computing)

urm well it depends on what your gonna use it for really

what course are you doing?

i did architecture and i bought a acer 5103wlmi
1gb ram
turion 64 x2
120gb hdd
ati x1300 gfx card

it can handle most things i throw at it and play games at good levels

i needed the above spec as i was and still use 3Ds max 9 and autoCAD etc
plus photoshop etc

its a really nice solid unit the only trouble i had was that the sound card over heated (realtek) and ive noticed that they've replaced the realtek cards with creative
im a bit annoyed as now i have no sound on my lappy but i bought a creative usb soundcard which is so much better and i can run my 5.1s off it :p

if youve got the money.. spend it
but if your on a budget then you really need to think what your gonna use the lappy for

if its just written stuff and net then you can spend small amounts of money
but if you wanna lil gaming on the side ... youll need to think what games your gonna want to play, is the price your gonna pay for a higher gfx lappy gonna reflect on the amount of time you'll be gaming?
if you have a console then can you just survive on the console games?

my advice is to seriously think about what your gonna use the lappy for .. and if you can have at least 1 gb of ram in the thing

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back