HELP!! home networking 2 PC's with crossover cable...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat Barzane

Ok I've searched the forums etc and other places online... And I havn't found a solution to my problem... So if anyone can help me here, or provide a link to an article or something that will help that would be GREATLY appreciated...

My household has 3 PC's, one is connected to the broadband modem by USB, one is connected by Ethernet. So far so good....
I want to connect the third PC to the first with an ethernet crossover cable, in order to share the internet plus file and printer sharing.

One is running XP Pro and the other has XP Home.
I have the cable, I've connected them up, and I run the home networking wizard (on both computers) ... Name the computers etc... Same workgroup name...
It doesn't work... Theres no sign that the computers are linked at all, can someone tell me whats going wrong?

PLEASE keep in mind I am inexperienced in the area of networking... and be patient with me lol! For example if its something to do with IP addreses, I'll need instructions on how to do something about them... All the information I have found on this subject so far has been assuming the reader knows things that I don't, lol... I'm learning as I go along, and I've never had to deal with networking before.... I'll stop blah-ing now, soz :p

To set up a network, you should use a Router. With a Router you can connect multiple computers to the same Internet connection. Each computer will then be able to access the Internet independently (the other computers do not have to be on), plus they can share files and printers.

The Router installs between the Modem and Computers and can be wired or wireless. If you prefer a wired network, you will need an Ethernet Card in each computer. If you prefer wireless, you will need a Wireless Adapter in each computer.

Sounds similar to something i have setup. Ok go to the computer that is going to share the internet connection and go to Control Panel, Network Connections then select the 2 things you are going to use in my case it was 2 pci network cards. When both of them are selected right click on one of them and select bridge connections. Hopes this helps

Connect the crossover from the 3rd pc to whichever one is connected to the modem via USB. Now go through the Wizard again making sure you answer the questions correctly, there isn't much to screw up there because there aren't many questions. Now run the wizard on the 3rd computer. They should work right then because after that point their IPs and stuff are set correctly. If they don't work it is because one of them is firewalled with something other than Windows Firewall, the cable is bad, one of the Network Cards is bad, or the machine connected through USB is turned off. Those are really the only things that could be wrong.

can you do an ipconfig on all the machine and post the results?
can you ping each machine and the others by ip and name?

are you just trying to do file & printer sharing or trying to share internet connection as well? for ICS to work on the host computer that has the connection, right click on that connection's icon, properties, advanced, check "allow other users on the network to share/use this connection". after doing this, the description on that should say "connected/not connected, shared, firewalled".
on the client pc, that connects to this one and wanst so share the ICS, click network connection wizard. choose "connect to internet", "set up my connection manually", and finally, choose "this computer connects to internet throught a broad band dsl or cable that's always on".
you should also should check "never dial a connection" on internet options/connections.

There are many good suggestions above regarding your problem. However, I suggest that you consider one of SNGX1275's suggestions that it may be your cable causing the problem. I suggest this because it is the easiest and fastest possibility to check with a known good working cable.

Aaah I found the problem... one of the computers was 2nd hand and came missing drivers for, like.... everything, the network card included... used Everest to find the drivers, and now its working...
Thank you all for your advice!!

I just wish it was that easy for the sound... Everest shows me what it is but when i download the drivers and try to install them, it comes up with some sort of error... and fails. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back