HELP how to recover from corrupted registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's IBM PC won't boot up. I did some testing on it using the PC-doctor software which came with it, and it looks like the hard disk has some damaged clusters in the beggining part of the disk which is probably where the boot partition resides. I can't even seem to repair it by booting from the Windows XP Pro CD. And of course, she never backed up, nor did she make a rescue CD. So, is there a way to recover the data? I can get into the DOSSHELL, but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyone help?

Dragonseye said:
My daughter's IBM PC won't boot up. I did some testing on it using the PC-doctor software which came with it, and it looks like the hard disk has some damaged clusters in the beggining part of the disk which is probably where the boot partition resides. I can't even seem to repair it by booting from the Windows XP Pro CD. And of course, she never backed up, nor did she make a rescue CD. So, is there a way to recover the data? I can get into the DOSSHELL, but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyone help?

Depends on the data you want to recover, you can slave the drive up to another PC running XP and copy the data over, or do an over the top install of XP, this will effectively reinstall windows but keep existing programs ( just boot with the XP disk in the CD

What happens when you try to boot it up does it start then fail? or not start at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back