Help! I lost display on my PC monitor! video card or motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not getting an image on my computer screen. Tried second monitor without success. PC savvy friends have told me it's the video card or the motherboard. I purchased a new graphics card. However, I wouldn't know how to go about installing it without a display. Could it be my motherboard? Any help would be appreciated. Dustin

first off dustin, welcome to techspot. :)

It does sound like a video problem...

Before we can help you out..we need a bit more info.

First off, have you made anymjor changes to you PC? Or have their been any problems before this happend? (flickering screen etc etc)

Replacing a video card is not hard at all, but we need to determine if your PC used an actual video card, or the video output is built into your Motherboard.

If you could tell us you PC make, Model, and some simple hardware specs, including you motherboard, and video card (if you use one)

If you dont know how to get them (specs), dont panic, its not that hard. You should consult this post found here

Post back with your specs, and we can go from there....

Good luck

Sean

I have been having a somewhat similar problem and still hav no ideas what the cause is.
On one of the pc's it have has done it 3 times in two months of daily use sofar. It has happened three time that I turn my computer on, but the monitor does not detect any input, I can hear the hard drive and fans starting up without problems though. Then after a few restarts suddenly the screen will detect the input and it will work normally again. Then everything runs normally for any length of time, a week or two and then it happens again.
I know the monitor is not the problem.
I am thinking that it's the graphics card, my sofar trusty nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB AGP 8x, but sofar know-one has been able to confirm this.
It might however also be the new power supply.
Anyway PC specks are : 1.7Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, 20GB HD, Windows XP HE SP1, and then the graphics card.

It's an eMachine with AMD Celeron processor. It's got AGP slot but I don't know any other motherboard components. I actually replaced the initial video card for gaming, it's now a GE Force FX 5200 256 mb. I've had it for nearly two years and haven't had any problems with it. I recently added 512mb of memory nearly a month ago? Otherwise, no other changes to factory components. No flickering or monitor malfunctions prior to going blank. Need any other info? Thanks for your input. Dustin

I just spoke to a friend who knows more about pc's than me and he suggested that the graphics card may be loose. So maybe you could try making sure it's secure and see if the problem is still there.
I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Just one little mistake you made earlier which I just noticed. You said AMD celeron. That does not exist. It's either and Intel Celeron or an AMD Sempron.

Sounds similar to my post above "monitor loses signal." I had no problems for almost two years on two different operating systems, then in the last couple of weeks, the monitor started losing it's signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back