Help, I think i may have fried my Mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new computer desk for X-mas, and after we put it together, i layed my comp on the floor, no wires connected, and sprayed some canned air into it, to clean it out. I accidently inverted the can, and some liquid got on the parts. But we hooked it up and it run fine for 15-20 minutes. Then the monitor went on standby, and the power led went off, but the comp still runs. Now nothing shows on the monitor when we boot, the HD led light lights up like its trying to run, but the power led never does. Did i fry my mobo, or did my PSU happen to go out or what? Oh and i cant manual shutdown anymore. As a note when this happened, the ground light on my surge protector, went off, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but just giving details. Please help me figure out what my problem is so i can order the right parts. If you need any more details just ask. Thanks!

Does the PSU turn on? I mean, the fan should be spinning.

Does the HD spin up when you turn on the comp? You can hear it.

Any beeps?

Are all the LEDs connected correctly?

Concluding from the facts you've given, I'd say that you did fry your mobo :blackeye:

You may try to RMA it and say it was DOA.

I dont have another PSU to try, but i did hook the monitor cable back up to the onboard video, still nothing, dont have another processor either. Ill check to see if the PSU fan is spinning in a little bit. As a side note, if I have to buy a new mobo, would getting a 256 stick of DDR be better than my current SD?

if you were moving the case around before this happened you might try making sure everything is still seated properly especially the video card. though that wouldnt explain why the power led isnt coming on. but it's worth a shot.

Sorry about the poor quality of my last post... :(

If there are problems with CPU or video, the mobo self test will discover it and you'll get beeps.

You should check your PSU first. If PSU is OK, strip everything (including case), attach only PSU, CPU and memory (assuming you have onboard video). Empty CMOS memory. If the mobo is OK, it has to start up now. If not, it's most likely dead.:(

Luckily in your case, 99.9% of the time even if it is fried you can easily get it replaced for nothing save maybe a little time and possibly a shipping charge. Most manufacturers will replace it if you tell them it stopped working for apparently no reason. Don't tell them you sprayed liquid on it, of course ;)

You may have shorted something or caused a capacitors ends to meet, or any number of those... hopefully its merely a loose connection or mislink cable.

But even if it is dead, don't let it get you down, I'm 99% sure they (the manufacturer or the company your purchased it from) will replace it for you.

I checked the PSU, on boot. The fan does NOT spin at all, not sure if the HD starts up or not, because the fans are louder than the HD. I unseated, and reseated my ram, still no luck. And as a note, i dont want a replacement Mobo, im looking for a DDR mobo with at least 256 chip, i just want to be sure that its my mobo, and not my psu before i do buy.

if there are any computer shops near you check and see if they carry the PSU tester by antec it's 14.95 and is a good investment. if not then you might remove the PSU and take it to the shop and let them test it.but they are going to charge you for doing that more than likely.

No I dont think it is your PSU but you said:
"i just want to be sure that its my mobo, and not my psu before i do buy."

Oh, thats right. Well are there any ways to tell its my PSU, rather than taking it to a shop? I really hope its my Mobo, so i can upgrade to a DDR mobo, but if its not ill just buy a good PSU. Just needing some help.

Sweet! Got my computer fixed today! It was the PSU, the guy installed a new one, sped my computer up for me, made my internet faster, and gave me a part time job working for him! Im glad the PSU fried after all. Thanks for the help though guys.

it thought it was a custom...?

what guy, from a repair store?

I dont trust those guys, fixed our "good" radio's CD plyer twice and the CD player broke again:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back