Help! I'm locked out of my own network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jef G

Same stuff, different day...

The "Administrator" on a Dell 3100 with XP Home, has changed some settings (can't remember which) and the "Guest" can't access "Hotmail.com"

The two computers are attached to a Cisco router, on a T-1 line.

Another computer, on the router, works fine. So, it's not a router problem.

The main computer problem happened when I disconected the other computer's "file sharing" access and some security features (I can't remember which) on the main computer to keep the "Guests" needing permission.

Now, the "Guest" has no access to "hotmail.com" on the main computer. I don't know how to change the settings back on the main computer. It's been days since I checked e-mail...

I "goofed" things up real good this time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the message I've been seeing for almost a month now:

Sign In to Hotmail Help

The Microsoft Passport Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:

This site may be experiencing a problem.
The site may not be a member of the Passport Network.

You can:

You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Passport Network, or try again later at this site.

Microsoft Passport Network
Account Services | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use
© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using MyWay.com as email on this computer... still no access.

This is my first year on the Internet, I'm a "newbie".

The whole thing with "Okidude" got resolved by the way (another of my pests... I mean... posts), but this one has still got me stumped.

Control Panel in XP (home version) doen't even show me an "administrative tools" selection, but when I got there, accidentally, the other day, it said, "You do not have permission to access this site... blah blah blah...

I really screwed up when I tried to get to the Hotmail account, when I signed up for another account, I guess. Somehow it doesn't recognize my login or something. huh?

The "host" to this computer has no clue how to get back his "authorization". Basically... the "short story". help.

Error message at Sign-in to Hotmail

If you see this...
The Microsoft Passport Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
This site may be experiencing a problem.
The site may not be a member of the Passport Network.
You can:
You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Passport Network, or try again later at this site.

How about more than a month later...

NOoooo!!!!

Sometimes, things are so simple to solve, but it only takes one, misdirected and un-educated question to complicate the issue - it ultimately sends us back to re-invent the wheel... or an old computer.

My Issue was never a "network" one. It's just the way that Explorer and Hotmail and Outlook interact together... or don't.

I have enough sense not to lock my keys in my car for over thirty years, but when it comes to computers, I always think that I know what I'm doing. ha.

There was a reason for the error message that kept me from using the Hotmail GUI. I accessed Outlook, one time, and it allowed me to use the "bare-bones" access to my hotmail account. huh? Maybe these two don't "get along", I thought. I uninstalled Outlook to test my hunch. nada.

What do you do when you've spent days trying to figure out a problem and even asked a few "tech sites" what they thought? That's an easy answer...

...read the manual and call the company. ugh.

The friendly, automated voice directed me to clear the cookie over-ride list that is stored in the "Privacy" tab under the "Edit" button in "Managed Sites". I thought this was a way to block or allow access to my e-mail by "spamers". Don't laugh! I bet you thought that at one time too!

I used Hotmail to organize a "safe-list" at one time, until it became too full. Now I just us a couple of freeware products to manage junk mail.

No broken Windows, just a "cracked-up" do-it-yourself-er!

It may just be me but all that writing got me highly confused, have you tried logging in as the administrator and checking hotmail, or is that the problem aswell?

Days and Confused

Maelsrom,
If you had replied a month ago, I would have put your comments in the "misguided responses" file. I thoroughly explained my situation, hoping to find someone the simple answer. No chance.

So... "Hey, let's send this "newbie" to Dell and back, searching for an answer! Yeah, great! Why not tell him to reformat his hard drive and flash his BIOS? That ough to screw him up pretty good. Yeah! let's do it!"

The real solution:
In Explorer: Open Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Web Sites [Edit button] at Manged Sites - CLEAR ALL entries out!

Now that I'm back to reading my Hotmail again, I have a few tech sites to visit. I just want to tell the rest of them, that If I wanted to waste an inordinate amount of time re-inventing the way Internet Explorer works with other programs like Outlook or Hotmail, they'd be the ones to call.

I hope that wasn't too confusing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back