Help installing External Hard Drive to Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help, customer service sucks. Here's my situation:
1. I have a dell 5150 laptop and want to install an external HD.
2. I purchased the seagate Barracuda 7200.8 HD w/ enclosure. (Model number ST3250823A).
3. When I pluged it in, the computer detected a "new USB device" and then said "their may be problems with the new device".
4. Now when I go to "my computers"-->Manage-->Device manager there is a yellow exlcamition point next to the USB Storage.
5. Also, my computer won't boot up when i have my HD on. My computer will freeze up.
6. The drive does not show up on my computer.

Can anyone please help? I just want to use it as an external hd to store my mp3;s.

Do you have the jumper set correctly on the drive? External enclosures may have different ways they want the junper set.

I have the exact same drive and the exact same problem. I can't boot with the drive powered up. However, if I boot the PC, then connect and power on the Seagate, it will recognize.

Maybe you can disable booting from USB devices in BIOS or disable USB legacy support?

I solved the problem with my setup. I opened the enclosure and removed the jumper, setting the drive to "slave" mode. Works great now with no boot or recognition problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back