Help installing sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper485

Hi i have just reinstalled windows on my computer for the first time, now there is no sound. I have no disks to install drivers and i don't know what sound card i have. Thanks

It would help if you said what pc you have and what windows version you are using.

Do you have a sound card to put in? This 'no sound' thing happens a lot. Do you know how to get in to 'device manager'? I will assume that you don't. Go to 'control panel'-select 'system'-(L) click on 'hardware' tab-select 'device manager'. This will show you the tree of hardware in your system. Move your mouse down the tree and look for 'multimedia audio controller'. If it has a yellow exclamation mark by it, that's a warning to you that it's got problems. Go to 'sounds' (etc) left click it to open it up. R click on each item that drops down. You should learn a lot about what is or isn't working. When you right click on an item go down to 'properties' and left click and read on. Also make sure your sound is not on 'mute' or turned down all the way.

If the sound card isn't installed then it probably won't show up through device manager. Just post what Rik asked for and somebody can post the driver that you need.

i am using windows media and a dell dimensions

the sound card is not recognized, it isn't in device manager

I have downloaded the correct driver, but when i run it it says "setup is unable to detect a product on your system".

Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back