HELP! Instant extreme slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraYYoda

Im running on a
AMD64 3200+
Asus K8N-E
1G RAM
Iv never had any type of slowdown or major problem with this comp up to this point, but 2 days ago the entire machine became incredibly slow.
On examining the CPU usage i discovered that it was at a constant 100% usage for about 80seconds and then down to 2-20% for 10seconds in a repeating pattern.Of course during this 100% usage the computer is fully useless, for example 80seconds of video will play but you can only see about 3 frames and hear scattered music,even typing this now is laggy,that little barfing smile to the right takes about 30seconds to throw up and over that time i see some frames lasts over 6seconds!
I have fully defragmented .scanned for viruses and even cleaned the inside for dust with zero effect.
This is a gigantic problem for me right now and any help would be much appreciated

Sorry..huh! a thread?
To add a lil info to this i was just checking processes and during the slowed period a process called "ashServ.exe" as part of system is using 95-98% of the cpu and 15.708k Memory but stops as soon as it returns to normal speed at which point most of the usage goes back to system idle process

ashserv.exe is part of Avast Anti-virus Suite, the main executable for it. link.
it could be that the av software could have been corrupted. try doing a complete uninstall, removing all traces of avast, and reinstalling it. btw its normal for system idle process to use a lot of the cpu. something to do with the timing link

Excellent all speed returned to normal, :) the smile is barfing like mad puke:
THANK YOU so much you magic computer docters!
I really feel like pating your heads playfully!

Exactly as you said, as soon is Avast was uninstalled al problems vanished Thank you very much fr your time

no problem, though you should ALWAYS have an av software, especially when using the net. i recommend kaspersky. i use it on my laptop and hardly notice its there. or you could try avast again and see if the problems are fixed with a reinstall.

When fixing the computers of various people I know, I often find so many anti-virus/spyware/popup programs all running simultaneously that they cause a greater slowdown than actual spyware! Resist the temptation, people! More is not always better. I would say find at most ONE program to monitor your computer in real-time (and not Norton Antivirus, for chrissakes), and stick with it. Other things may be run manually, like Ad-Aware, of course, but more than one real-time monitor is asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back