Help me Decide(upgrade question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the time has come for me to updrade. I have about $300 us.
I was thinking about getting an Audigy 2, but will this make much of a difference(considering my speakers Logitech 640) compared to my Sb live! 5.1.

I have also been thinking about upgrading my AK32L mobo, (256meg PC2100) needs to have a new mobo if I upgrade this. Or maybe even my Gf3. <-- ill wait till the FX comes along a lowers prices:D

I just cant decide.

the most bang for your buck would probably be a mobo upgrade.
something like a Asus A7N8x and another stick of 256mb PC2100. I am assuming you are already running an athlon XP processor?

Yes, post all of your current system specs, and it will help decide what each person feels is the important buy. Sometimes it might be something you are overlooking that would be your best bet.

Well my specs are

Shuttle AK32a
AMD XP1700+
256pc2100
SB Live! 5.1
Geforce 3 (not ti)
Logitech 640 speakers
27 gig 7200rpm maxtor HD
win xp

It might not seem like much, but I built this thing for 300$ a month ago. Using my old HD and monitor.

the only thing I would consider upgrading is the mobo... maybe adding another 256 of Ram would be a good idea... but all ur specs are good enough to hold u over for a few months to a year (depending on ur useage)...

also if u've got a crappy case/PSU, it's good to get something that will help for future upgrades... many pple wonder why a GF4 or 9700 won't work on a generic 300W PSU...

I wouldn't bother with the Audigy 2 if u've got a Live... that's only my opinion and I've not tried the Audigy 2 so maybe someone who does have this card, can give u a comparison of the whys and why nots of upgrading...

SINCE you only have the Logitech Z-640's I wouldn't reccomend you get an Audigy 2. You'd need a high-end set of speakers like the Z-680's to take full advantage of it. Even an original Audigy will be held back by your speakers. So don't bother.

If you got the A7N8x or equivalent nForce2-based system board, your onboard sound would actually outperform your current sound card :haha: So if someone bought a nForce2 + Audigy 2...well they'd be an *****. I would reccomend getting an A7N8x. If you want the regular no-frills version, it'll down you only about $115, but if you want the A7N8x Deluxe, SATA, FireWire, RAID, etc., then it'll go for about $140. I personally like the A7N8x Deluxe...

To take full advantage of the A7N8x, you'll need new RAM...I'd reccomend 512MB of DDR333 or DDR400 if you wish. Be sure not to get generic ;)

Are mobos really that important? I've really never knowen, or thought so...would a "good" mobo actually make your system faster? I just got the cheepest one I could find, that supported all my hardware.:blush:

Actually Yes, a good mobo can help everything, though I buy cheap ones too, its just cause I have a tight budget..lol...A good mobo, has better circutry, and a better chipset, it handles everything better, and is more stable most of the time, compared to a budget board, which normally have no overclockability, use cheap chipsets, and result in poorer system performance:grinthumb

but is it really worth your while spending the extra $60+ on the "good" mobo, when you can get a cpu the next step up??? for that extra $60+ ;)

hmmmm good question....and I dont know, cause I normally only buy the cheap ones, the last time I owned an expensive one was an ASUS mobo for my Celeron 333...that was a good mobo, never failed me, still have it, upgraded to a Celeron 900mhz. with an adapter card, still in service(5 years now)my sister has it..lol

Though I would like to buy a nice one, cause they are good in the long run as far as upgrading and compatability is concerned!:grinthumb

yeah thats true, but so is my $60 K7S5A. Has DDR and PC133, supports all athlonXPs that are 266FSB, and some durons(wont ever get a duron tho)....has onboard lan, and sound ;) never had probs with it either:p

a faster processor is worthless if your board cant take advantage of that speed. or worse yet if the board is unstable. think of the mobo as your "foundation" the better the foundation the better and more stable the building that is built on it.

a friend of mine used to buy the cheapest mobos's too he was constantly plagued with strange glitches and crashes. when I finally talked him into trying a better mobo he was amazed that all the strange behavior he had with his computers before disappeared. besides you wont even be able to tell the diff in performace between one processor and the "next step up" one.

Thanks for your help. After reading this I think I'll save up and give my computer a total body makerover in about half a year:p
But that time the all the uber expensive stuff should be nice and cheap:grinthumb

Good idea...plus you'll have broader access to the new 333Mhz Athlon generation:grinthumb

Originally posted by Gummiez
also if u've got a crappy case/PSU, it's good to get something that will help for future upgrades... many pple wonder why a GF4 or 9700 won't work on a generic 300W PSU...

ahem. 230W PSU. GeForce 4 Ti4200 (64mb) .. works fine :p

..but I am upgrading to a 350W enermax tomorrow :D

Uhh, I see. So my pc may not lock up for 10 secs everytime I exit warcraft3 with a better mobo(shh, my ram is fine). Makes me think....time for new mobo! Though mine does support my CPU and all.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back