Help me overclock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, you generally can't overclock manufactured PCs. There could be a way around that, which I'm not sure of, though.

Not sure if this helps, but you *might* be able to use a program called ClockGen. http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php However, you also will definatly have to open your case to find the right PLL. This is about the only way I've ever heard of OCing a maufactured computer, but even this depends on weather or not you have the right PLL. good luck and try not to fry anything expensive! :hotbounce

Intel 805 Pll?

I'm trying to overclock my computer and i need the PLL! it's an intel pentium d 805 HELP PLEASE! what is a PLL anyway?

M8... u cant overclock without much research... and seeming as u have posted this with no former knowlege... i suggest you do ur homework

hi korndud,

I have no experience with Acer, but it's most likely like other OEM PCs (like Dell, HP, eMachines, etc). OEM PC's cannot be overclocked do to their lower quality motherboards and crippled BIOSes. overclocking requires higher end components (cheaper components are generally operating at their max and cannot be pushed any further)

windows based overclocking programs (like clockgen) will overclock the entire system including the video card, PCI cards, HDDs, etc which can lead to all kinds of problems. to overclock to any significant amount (and to have the overclock run stable) requires it to be done via the BIOS. if your BIOS has settings like CPU multiplier, FSB, VCORE, VDIMM, memory speed/ratio then you may be able to overclock (depending on the hardware quality). if your BIOS does not have any of those settings, then you cannot overclock unless you replace the motherboard with an aftermarket motherboard with a full featured BIOS.

cheers :wave:

Don't ask how to overclock if you have never even looked into it before. We don't want to try to walk you through every step and spoonfeed you because if something goes wrong, you will blame us and something most likely WILL go wrong unless you know what you are doing. If I tell you to overclock a Pentium 4 2.0 ghz to make it run at 35,000 mhz, how are you going to know whether or not that can be done? (guys don't say anything about that just see if he knows the answer) So what do you think? Can I do that or no?

Yeah, you can do that for sure. A more reasonable question would be, if a CPU is running 2000Mhz, and its multiplier is 10, what is the FSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back