Help me please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!.

I'm using windows 2000 pro in a computer with 3 hd, i have in total 280 GB full of videos.

My problem is that one of those HD failed and i need to format it and reinstall W2K pro, but i, as Administrator, set the security option in each one of mi videos in the way that i only can access them.

Can i have problems with SID when i format that hd and install again W2K? I'll can't access all my videos again?.

What i can do about it?
I'm new with W2K.

Thanks.

Are you saying that you have already re-installed 2K or are going to? You shouldn't have a problem. If it is set so that the only person that can access the files is the "administrator" account as in the built-in administrator account, and the account is still named "administrator" and hasn't been changed to something else I don't think you will have a problem accessing those files immediately after installing 2K.

In the case that you do have a problem with it. I believe it is possible to create a FAT32 partition and then move those files over to the FAT32 partition which would remove all the security settings for those files. Then you could just move them back to a NTFS partition and redo the security settings for the files because after doing that they won't have any.

Hello Acidmosis.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to install again the OS.

I'm not sure which OS i'll install, i'm thinking in change it to XP PRO.

Do you think that i'll not have problems with SID in my videos if i install XP?.
The ID number will change and someone tell me that can cause problems when i try to access those files.

I can create a FAT32 partition in one of my HD to move the problematic files and reset the security settings in chase i can't access them.

You should have no problems.

If there are any problems, you should be able to take ownership of the files, because you are administrator. I can't see any reason to mess with FAT32.

In any case, FAT32 is not very suitable for the large partitions you are most likely working with if you have 280GB storage for movies. Its large cluster sizes and other deficiencies make it unsuitable for mass storage, and you should be sticking with NTFS unless you have more than one operating system installed on your machine.

Also, in future perhaps you should leave your files on NTFS partitions with just the default permissions. There is more to permissions that meets the eye (inheritance, "most secure permutation", etc) and perhaps you should be leaving this alone for now, certainly unless the computer is shared with people you do trust. Unless that's the case, I can't think why you need to set permissions, if its only you that accesses the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back