Help me to Transfer some files!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevet47

My parents home comp. crashed, you turn it on, it goes through the Dell and Win XP screens, then there is just a black screen with a cursur, but you cant type anything. I've exhausted my resources trying to fix it, so now I just want to get some files off it then reformat.

I took the HD out and put it into my computer, I have it set to CS on the HD. It is recognized in the BIOS and shows up in My Computer, but when I click on it in My Computer I get a message that says "The disk in drive D is not formatted, would you like to format it now?"

Is there anything I can do to get the files I need off this HD or am I screwed? And as you can probably tell, I am novice when it comes to fixing comptuers, I can use them like a champ, but when they break I have no clue what I am doing.

Thanks for any help you can give!

What windows version is your pc using? Xp usually uses the ntfs file system while older windows versions use fat32 file system and are unable to use ntfs!!!!

The best thing to do is to put it back into your parents pc and press F8 before windows begins to boot which will bring up the boot gui, select "safe mode" and see if it will boot that!!

Let me know what happens and i will do my best to help further!!!!

They both are running XP now, but the ill computer origonally came with ME if that matters.

I tried the F8 thing, it doesnt do anything, SafeMode wont start. I changed the boot sequence to boot from the CD, then tried it, still wont work, then I tried the restore console thing and that doesnt work either..it says something is corrupted.

I think transfering these files onto my comp is the only option, I tried EVERYTHING while the ill HD was still in my parents comp.

What have you done exactly?

It sounds like your hard drive is corrupt.

Go to recovery console run chkdsk /r

Have you received any errors in the past? Before this issue?

I just tried the repair using "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r"....doesnt work, it says "The volume appears to contain one or more urrepairable problems"

With the hard drive in your pc, get speedfan from the downloads section. Go to the S.M.A.R.T. section in speedfan and get it to do an online in-depth analysis, that will tell you if the hard drive is ok or not!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back