Help me with a problem and I will pay-pal you $5!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I should start at the beggining!

I had:
P4 2.6 HT Processor on an Intel D865PERL.
about a 1.5GB DDR RAM 400mhz using all 4 of my DIMM slots.
DVD-RW
200gb hardrive Seagate 7200 8mb (partioned in half for storage)
2 120gb hardrive Western Digital 7200 8mb (one for windows install other one for storage)
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256

ALl of these things worked in perfect harmony until I upgraded!!!

I now have:
P4 3.4 HT Pcroessor on the same motherboard
2GB DDR RAM 400mhz (4 pieces of 512)
same DVD-RW
200GB Hardrive Seagate 7200 8mb (still partioned in half for storage)
120GB Hardrive Western Digital 7200 8mb (this one is still my OS)
300GB Harddrive Seagate 7200 8mb (This is new and thus empty)
same ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256

So as you can see I swaped out 512 of my ram for 1g. I swapped out my 120gb storage for a 300gb hardrive. Thats it.

So I turn on my computer after putting in my new upgrades and when it goes to load windows it says Error Loading Operating System. ???

Okay so I head to bios and check everything out. Okay it detects my CPU fine. It detects my ram. Good. It sees 3 hardrives and 1 DVD drive. Good. Everything is on default settings.

Here is roughly what it says for my drives:
PATA Primary Master : SDC SD1"0 JB-00ERA0 (this would me my Windows drive)
PATA Primary Slave : ST3200822A (my 200gb)
PATA Secondary Master : ST3300831A (my 300gb)
PATA Secondary Slave: DVD-RW IDE1008 (my DVD-rw)
Okay so that checks out it finds them all. I double check my jumpers on all of them and they are all good. So I try again I get the same thing.

So what I reaaranged my RAM and try different sticks in different slots and varying amounts. Same thing. So it is not my RAM.

Okay so I pull my 120 Windows Drive and pop it into another machine as a slave. I back up soem of my files and I wipe the beast. Okay so I put it back into my machine and get ready to install Windows XP Pro. Windows install loads I choose Setup and then I get to that screen where I get to pick my drive or partition to install at. Here is roughly what I see

114468 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition1 <Inactive <OS/2 Boot Man114460 MB <114460MB free>
Unpartitioned space 7 MB

131070 MB Disk 0 at ID 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition1 <Main 1> [NTFS]` 94743 MB < 11390 MB free>
E: Partition2 <Main 2> [NTFS] 96029 MB < 51852 MB free>

131070 MB Disk 0 at Id o on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
D: Partion1 [Unknown] 131072 MB < 131071 MB free>

Okay so the first one is where I want to install. It looks weird with so I decide to delete whatever partion is on there and start fresh so I press d then I press L. It then says The partition you selected cannot be deleted.
???

I push enter to continue and go back to the select screen. It is the same except the first drive now says:

Unpartioned space 114467 MB

Okay well I press C to create a new partition. I make it one max size partition. It goes back to the select drive screen again and it is the same except the top one again:

C: Partition1 [New <Raw>] 114460 MB <114460 MB free>
Unpartitioned space 7 MB

Well I suppose that looks good so I choose Partition1. It gives me an option to partition it using the NTFS File or NTFS File Quick. So I pick Quick. It starts and that bar appears. Then It get this message on a slightly different shaded blue screen:

A problem has been detected and Widnows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disableor remove and newly installed software. If you nedd to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 tyo select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Nice! So I take out my memory and put in my old stuff just the two sticks of 256. I start the install process again. I reformat the drive, it works! It says it is starting to copy the setup files then I get that blue screen again with a slightly different message.

A problem has been detected and Widnows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you nedd to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 tyo select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0xc000007A (0xC03E1100, 0xc000000E, 0xF8440BE4, 0x&b228600)

*** ftdisk.sys - Address F8440BE4 base at F843c000, Datestamp 3b7d8419

Man this is starting to suck! Okay so I turn off Hyper threading and I slow my 512 Ram down to 320 instead of 400 (someone told me to try that). ready for another round!

Ah yes I got that first message again, this time as soon as I hit d to delete that partition. Everytime I have to tell it to make a new partition.

Okay. So I will set my Bios settings back to defaults and remove my 2 extra hardrives leaving my DVD as Primary 2 and my 120 hardrive as Primary 1. I doubt that will help but I will try!

Okay windows is up and running. That last combo did it, but I left my memory at 320 instead of 400 this is my old memory too I have 2 gb just sitting here now. It seems this worked, but I do not want to use 512 memory at 320mhz!!! not when I know my motherboard can take more! Plus I have a ATI Radeon X850 XT PE coming in the mail!

It appears I solved part of my problem by trial and error, so if anyone can help me solve the rest of this (So I can use my drives and my 4 sticks of 512 memory at 400 mhz.) I will still send em $5 via pay-pal!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this! It seems like a great community! Please excuse my horrible typing. It is 5:30 AM and I need some sleep!

Put in all your RAM and run memtest86+. Reduce RAM speed settings in BIOS until you get error-free memtest runs.

Get and run HD diagnostics from WD on your weird drive. (The weird drive was the WD one, right?)

Use any HD wiping software or some Linux cd/floppy to wipe the beginning of the HD so Windows wouldn't see any existing partition info when you install. Windows is really stupid when it comes to partition tables and I have made it a habit of zeroing the start of the disk beore install.

Okay now a few things. Where do I get a memtest and how do I run a memtest. The weird one is my Western Digital that is correct. Should I run the western digital tools on it then.

I will try what you said. I now have 512 ram in but it is running on 320 instead of 400. I would like to use my 2gb of it. Thanks for you help I will look around and see if I can find those tests.

Alright thanks.

So I got my windows running with my 512 Ram my 120 hardrive and my DVD drive.
So I take it another step further and decide to hook up one of my hard drives. The 200 Seagate. So I also make that cable select and hook it up on the slave part of my IDE cable. Well when it goes to load windows it says

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Crap!
Okay so I turn off my PC. change my two drives to Master and slave according just in case the cable select is messed. I put it back in. Same thing.

So how come it load windows and everything just fine, but when I add a new drive it get this message.

I checked Bios and it sees my new drive correctly. So I check my boot order and it uses the Correct drive (the 120). Anyone up for this? This has been a huge friggin headache! I just want my computer to work like it use to!

make sure your bootable is on ide channel 1
the master is at the end of the cable, and the slave is in the middle
do not use CS
go to seagate website and download there harddrive utilitys
If you have only 1 optical drive put it on ide channel 2 IE: dvd or cdrom
hopefully the utility will see your new drive
on 2nd ide channel make the optical master,sometimes this is not work,but if you use it as slave you may not be able to boot from it.
if you are running xp it has been noted that this OS does not like
to many hardware changes at any one time little late with that one

when it shows your drive at 7MB, it's just seeing the MBR and not any of the other partition or partitions. I'm betting you are running too many drives on the same connector line from the PSU. Try to have your primary and secondary on one dedicated line. Also go to lavalys.com and download Everest and check your voltages. Or use motherboard monitor 5.

LOL Send my $5 to your favorite charity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back