Help/Monitor Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmharris

I have a Dell system running Windows 98. When I boot it up the monitor starts, displays the Dell logo, starts Windows 98 then blinks - it gets to where the hourglass should come up and the monitor goes black and that's all.

I hooked the hard drive up to both my Gateway and NEC monitors and Dell pc boots up fine. I am thinking I have some type of corrupt monitor driver or video card driver.

I hooked up the monitor to my Gateway and NEC hard drives and the Dell monitor works just fine. But the Dell won't work on the Dell!

Can anyone help?

It is a Dell Dimension L550R system with a monitor that says E550 on it. It is quite an old system but is just being used as a workstation for input to the server at our family business so we hate to replace it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What happens if you boot into safe mode? Does the monitor behave the same way if you boot into safe mode? You can try pressing F8 at startup

It will boot up in the safe mode. I can't find any problems.

When it boots up normally, when it should go to the hourglass the monitor goes blank and all the lights on the monitor start blinking. BUT it sounds like the machine is continuing to boot up.

Can you remove the monitor from device manager so that it defaults to a generic monitor driver when you boot back into normal windows? It sounds like its trying to run in a resolution/frequency that the monitor doesn't support. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back