P4M800Pro motherboard
Seagate 200gb harddrive
Maxtor diamond 160bg hardrive
Celeron D 3.33 ghz
1 gb 533 ddr2 ram
radeon 9600xt
NEC dvd rewritable drive
500watt atx case

Problem: I tried running the latest catalyst and omega drivers, I used drivercleaner,, even reformatted my harddrive. My problem is, whenever I ran anything 3d, my computer hangs/ freezes instantly. For example, playing counterstrike, after I connect and load, I freeze at the first frame in game. I cant move my mouse or anything, keyboard doesnt repond, so its totally frozen causing me to reboot manually. This is with anything 3d I think. Bc I ran a video card stress test program and that froze my computer too. Anything like just browsing the internet and all is fine, just when I run anything 3d. COunterstrike worked perfectly in software mode.

A few things:
Bad PSU
Overheating GPU/CPU
DX9.0b not installed or corrupted. Upgrade to Dx9.0c
That 500W PSU did that come with the case?
Read the links in my sig. Goto ExtremeCalculator.

Cheers.

Yes, the PSU came with case. My computer is not overheating and I hav the latest version of directx installed. Im not that good with computers and all. The voltages kinda confuse me a little. On the back of my case, there are 2 settings for voltages. 115v and 200 something v. which one should I use? Im using 115v right now

kirock said:
A few things:
Bad PSU
Overheating GPU/CPU
DX9.0b not installed or corrupted. Upgrade to Dx9.0c
That 500W PSU did that come with the case?
Read the links in my sig. Goto ExtremeCalculator.

Cheers.

If you click on the PSU: Label link in my signature line below you will see a pic of a PSU label. To see yours you need to remove the left side of the case and peek in at the PSU. It's at the back and top of the case usually. Can you post back what the 12V and 5V amps are? In the pic example the 12V is 28A and the 5V is 32A.

Have you ever run a progam called memtest or memtest86? If you google for them you can dwnload them. They need to be added to a dos bootable floppy disk. These programs are excellent for check your RAM for problems, which is often a cause of freezes.

Another program you can dwnload is Speedfan, it will measure your temperatures of the CPU/GPU and case. As well as the voltages from the PSU. Excellent for trouble-shooting BSODs and freeze ups.

Cheers.

5 is 36 and 12 is 18. Yea, I just again, reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows. I Dled SP2 and have the latest version as well as directx. I got the latest catalyst drivers and I used drivercleaner before installing them. Farcry worked for the for like 5 min then froze. After I restarted, it freezes at the first frame like it did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back