Help my computer wont turn on at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
my computer wont turn on but i have the light around the power button on

what happened as far as i know was
last night i went to bed with the computer on when i woke up it was turned of
so i tried to turn it on and nothing happened so i unplugged it and replugged it in and still nothing all the power connectors are pluged in right and i dont think its the power supply because i just got it 4 days ago

thanks for reading this and any help with be nice.

What are your system specs? I think that is needed before any diagnosis can really be made.

BTW, welcome to TechSpot! ;)

--kitty

Sometimes new Power Supplies are duds. I bought an Antec TP 2.0 480w New and it went out in a week, got a new one and it's been running good ever since. If you get a replacement power supply and it still doesn't turn on, it could be your processor. My old processor died and the computer wouldnt turn on anymore til I replaced the processor. Most likely it is the Power Supply, doesn't matter if it is brand new.

my specs are
2.60 ghz intel celeron processor
40 gb hard drive
Emachine
chiefmax atx psu 1 week old

and would the green light on the front be on if it were a bad psu

Oh I'm sorry I didn't read that part, haha. If the PSU doesn't supply enough power perhaps that could be the problem? Chieftec is a very cheap brand of PSU. I am leaning towards the Mobo though, that seems like an old computer.

i was hopping it wasnt an expensive part well im going to bring in the psu tomorrow and see if thats the problem i let ya know what happens

emachine motherboard issues

LOL 4 out of 5 E-machines make their way back to Wal-Mart because of this.

I believe most of the ones sold in the past few years have faulty capacitors
( please forgive my spelling errors tonight )
You can open up your case and check to see if they are swollen or leaking, very sure sign. They look like little soda cans and they are next to your cpu and heat sink area. The ones closest to your heat sink are usually the first to go :D

Casia01 said:
LOL 4 out of 5 E-machines make their way back to Wal-Mart because of this.

I believe most of the ones sold in the past few years have faulty capacitors
( please forgive my spelling errors tonight )
You can open up your case and check to see if they are swollen or leaking, very sure sign. They look like little soda cans and they are next to your cpu and heat sink area. The ones closest to your heat sink are usually the first to go :D

This is because Emachines uses seconds or parts like power supplies and motherboards that they buy for pennies on the dollar, They know they may not last. As long as the parts fail outside of warranty they don't care. This cap problem was common with a lot of motherboards coming out of Tiwan in 2003 and 2004. It is really no worry here. It gives you 2 choices. Either replace the motherboard or have the motherboard repaired. Another choice is to avoid Emachines altogether!

I like the choice to avoied Emachines altogether, trying to repair my mothers right now... *nightmares!*

Replacing the power supply with just about anything else, and replacing the motherboard, with a type that will accept the old CPU and Memory will repair any problem with an Emachines. Hard drives are another thing and you will have to have a copy of the OS to be able to reinstall... Trying to save data can be more trouble than it is worth. A clean OS install fixes a lot of computer problems. This is especially true with Emachines systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back