My HDDs are not detected on BIOS after adding extra HDDs

First of all, my hardware:
Sabertooth Z77 motherboard

1. Samsung EVO 870 series SSD - 1TB
2. Samsung EVO 870 series SSD - 250GB
3. Toshiba MQ01ABD100 HDD- 1TB (This is a HDD that I took out from a laptop. The size is the same as a SDD, but it's just regular SATA HDD)
4. Samsung HD204UI SATA HDD- 2TB
5. WD SATA HDD - 1TB

Little background:
I have been using this PC for 6 years now with no problem using the #2 as the main bootable drive and #4 as main storage drive in AHCI mode. I have been using #3 and #5 on a HDD to USB hub. I recently got the #1 and I wanted to make this my main bootable drive and use all the other as storage drives plugged directly into my motherboard as SATA connection.

What I have done so far:
Step 1
My bios could not detect the 1TB SSD(#1) and windows could not be installed on it, so after some research, I was able to make it detect and install a fresh windows 10 on it by disconnecting ALL other storage devices in AHCI mode.

Step 2
As soon as I connected another SATA drive, BIOS itself could not detect the #1, instead it would only recognize whatever else storage that I connected. I thought maybe it's cause it had some stuff on it, so I formatted it--> Still the same thing, so this time I used the bootable Windows DVD to utilize the windows installation software to "Delete" the partition, leaving the space "Unallocated"
Even doing so, BIOS could not detect #1, therefore it won't boot up. Only when I disconnect all but #1, it boots up properly.

My problem:
How do I make it so that I use #1 as my main bootable drive and use all others as storage? Please help as I feel stuck and it's been driving me insane past few days...

Lurking in the back of my confused old head is the idea that there is a possible limit to SATA depending on CPU. I could just be senile.

Edit: The latter. Limit is 24....and I'll stop slipping digits now.

Last edited:
May have found it, there are two SATA controllers and you might be advised to only use the Intel and to disable the ASMedia one (gray connections). This limits you to 2 6GB SATA (black) and 4 3GB (brown), but they will all be Intel.
Does motherboard manual address this?

Back