HELP!!! Need help with MOBO/CPU/PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpak

Well, hope someone can help me here. Even though my system is protected by a surge protector, a blackout screwed my system. I couldn't get any the PC to power on. The PSU's light was blinking. So, before I got another PSU, I dug out my 10 year old PIII system and hooked up the PSU to it. It worked, so I assumed it was the MOBO that crapped out. I ordered a new MOBO and CPU (decided to upgrade) from Newegg. Contacted HP to obtain instructions for tattooing the board (BTW - HP's tech support guys are *****s!!! One told me that I can get the new MOBO tattooed and later, AFTER I ordered my new MOBO, another told me that I had to buy a new MOBO from them!!! AT 4X the COST!!!) Anyways, I got a tattoo utility to do it myself (if anyone wants it, let me know, I think I can probably e-mail it, it's pretty small program).

Well, got the MOBO & CPU in and rebuilt my PC. Now, when I hook up the PSU, I GET THE SAME PROBLEM....PC does not power up and the light on the PSU blinks!!! What are the chances that the MOBO was a dud? I plugged the PSU back to my old system and it works...I'm using it to write this now. I tried to "shock" the PSU to no avail. I don't know what else it could be? Could the PSU's out put have dropped? The power requirements for my old PC is much lower than the new one.

I need help from anyone out there that has had a similar situation or knows what the hell is going on! HELP!!!!

Oh, BTW...if it was the PSU in the first place....I'm gonna feel real stupid for spending $200.00 on a new MOBO / CPU!!!

Also, can someone let me know how I should tattoo the MOBO? The original MOBO is an ASUS MOBO P4G533, HP code name Echo. The new MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M. Can I just enter in "Echo" for the MOBO name? If not, what should I do? I don't want to buy another OS as I feel that I paid for the damn thing when I bought the PC in the first place.

Go here a read how to check if the old PSU is still working.
I'm not familiar with tattoo, but I assume it's a procedure to replace mobo drivers etc from one board to another in the active OS to avoid reinstalling the OS when the new mobo goes in?
Good luck with that, I can't help but maybe others here might know of it/done it.

First you want to make sure you have a working PSU.
Then check d/check the new mobo isn't grnding on the case. Check all connections (4 pin molex to the CPU plugged in?)(if applicable).

Cheers.

Well, the PSU seems to work with this P III system that requires much less power. I rebuilt using a brand new MOBO and no luck. Tried to reinstall the old MOBO....no luck, yet when I plug the PSU into the very old P III unit...voila....works....I'm at a complete loss!!! I also tried to "shock" the PSU to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back