HELP need to choose a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

volatiledisplay

Hey I just recently found out that My windows XP, Compaq Presario, Pentium 4 (whatever that all means) Has been attempting to run world of warcraft with a built in grapics card which cant do it. Im not money bags but im not super cheap, if anyone can tell me what grapics card I should get or where to get a good one from It would be greatly appreciated. My main question was what should i get a PCI or a AGP or a PCIe or what?! My friend runs a nividia geforce 6600 and it looks HOT playin wow, ide love to have something that good or better.

Im probably lookin to spend at most 200 but dont hesitate to gimme links or tell me the cheap ones. The best help i can get right now is something like this

Example: nivida 983459849 - 100$
nivida 349584- 20$
nivida 58349589- 2000$

You are PCI only
: Example

1st of all don't dis on the people here, there are a lot of smart and very helpfulk people here.

as for your help, I would personally go with a nvidia card. If you are just playing WOW, and maby better in the future, a 7100GS would do you well. that will run you about $70. (off the top of my head) and if you want better, a 7600GS is about $100-125. or the higher clock (faster) 7600GTS for about $140. What kind of expansion slot do you have? if you don't know then can you find the motherboard model ##. We can look it up. these card are for a PCI-E X16. if all you have is an AGP or just PCI then there is still luck.

goto http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=38&name=Video-Cards-Video-Devices

look for a video card here. nvidia- higher than 6XXX a 6600XXX would also be alright, but you won't have the support for the later games.

Please respect us here at TS, we are here to help weither you want it or not.

Sorry didnt mean to dis anyone just ment to call someone out to gimme a reply XD. Anywho I hace a Windows XP, Compaq Presario, Intel Pentium 4 2.50 GHz 2.49GHz watever that means. I dont really know how to figure out what i need betweeen PICe PCI or AGP.

Ok thats fine... what is the model number of the compaq? it should be on the front pannel of the computer.

We need a lot more information first.
Read cfitzarl's guide:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66390.html
This will help us to help you select a graphics card.

It would be nice to have all that information, but specifically, what we need is for you to download CPU-Z from here:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

Run it, and look under the "Mainboard" tab. Tell us what it says under "Graphic Interface".

I'm hoping you have a PCI-Express slot, because anything older will be exceptionally harder to upgrade.

With $200 and a PCI-Express interface, you can buy anything from a GeForce 7600GT to a GeForce 7900GS, the latter being the better one.
THIS is a popular model of GeForce graphics cards that is very powerful, and costs not so much.

Lastly, please try to be patient with any future questions before calling people "not smart". :)

Good luck with your upgrade. :wave:

If your desktop has a PCIEx16 slot then i'd recommend the 7300GT, best value for your money right now IMO. If you think the 6600 looks hot you haven't seen anything yet :)

by the way, just to clear something up: 1: One topic is enough. 2: in this topic, you're talking about $200ish and in the other, you're talking about $60ish. That's quite a difference. We need to know your real budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back