Help needed w/in-laws PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago, my mom-in-law's pc was hit with a Trojan.Vundo infection. I received some great help from this board, but rather than follow the detailed instructions I forwarded to him in detail, my dad-in-law ran a few steps then invoked the Windows Restore feature and rolled the box back a few weeks. While I screamed bloody murder at first, they are over 300 miles away and he claimed the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, he now reports intermittent slowdowns and outright lock-ups (particularly with CCapp.exe) and a loss of e-mail settings. Their solution to these issues has been to keep rolling back three days at a time using System Restore.

Before I tell them to reformat the drive and reload their PC from scratch, I thought I'd post an HJT log they sent me for assistance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Others, please don't get up your hopes!

I'll make a rare HJT-exception, on the condition that your dad-in-law LISTENS to you.

First Read: Only use these HJT-instructions when asked!
/R/ unRegister the xxx.DLL in that line
/U/ UNinstall anything to do with this
Transfer the text from between these dotted lines underneath to between the dotted lines of the above post.
Make sure to follow ALL instructions in SEQUENCE, and in HiJackThis tick/fix ALL lines indicated here!
...................................................................................................
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\1.bin\deSrcAs.dll (file missing)
/R/U/ O2 - BHO: Big Fish Games - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-86BD-FD60BB9AAE3A} - C:\PROGRA~1\BFGTOO~1\BFGTOO~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Big Fish Games - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-86BD-FD60BB9AAE3A} - C:\PROGRA~1\BFGTOO~1\BFGTOO~1.DLL
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless USB 2.0 WLAN Card Utility.lnk = ?
...................................................................................................

Tell him that his PC will keep on performing lousy, unless he gets rid of that Symantec bloatware.
We've given plenty of advise for free replacements.
And he should start using Thunderbird instead of Outlook (Express).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back