Help Network Ethernet Download Limiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys wondering if any1 could possibly help, i've just come to university and signed up for my ethernet connecton from my flat which is supposedly 100 mbs which is true for certain things but when i want to download anything off certain p2p programs such as bittorrent my downloads speed reduces to about 1kbs and its killing me. Does anybody have any ideas how i can get round this because i can download things fast through other programs but not being able to use bittorrent to download stuff (legally of course!) is driving me round the bend.
Any help would b greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Jon

the ISP can implement bandwidth throttling and that's per specific IP address
(whether static or dynamically assigned). The only way around is a direct
end-to-end connection OR a dial-up which would be terrible

dont suppose u could tell me what an end-to-end connection is as my technical knowledge is limied and how to achive it? or is it a direct p2p connection achived through programs such as kazaa and limewire?

thanx

For bittorrent its best if u can choose i different port range (the ISP etc cannot throttle every port) so that way u get around that problem

Also with bittorrent its best if u can set up the network to foward incomming packets to your machine so that u get faster speeds... look at your router etc if u can to get the incomming connections to be directed to your pc.. take a look here http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

They can just block the BT destination port - most people use the default and so you will fail to connect to most of the peers available. And there are content scanning solutions that throttle connections based on the actual data being passed - no port changing will get you around that.

BTW did you not sign some paper saying that the results of circumventing any university computer security will be severe?

jonwilson8 said:
dont suppose u could tell me what an end-to-end connection is as my technical knowledge is limited and how to achive it? or is it a direct p2p connection achived through programs such as kazaa and limewire?

thanx
end-to-end: one end is the source of the data that the other end requests.
For an example, you (via the browser) ask for a page (by clicking on a link); end#1
The request travels thru many intermediate systems until the webserver gets the request (end#2).
The two ends are 1) you and 2) the webserver. Everything else is just flow-thru, intermediates.

A dial-up has ONLY two systems and NO intermediates; your modem talks directly to
the ISP modem ... slowly. Other forms of end-to-end are ISDN and dedicated T1 service (read expensive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back