Help! New ATI Radeon 9650 and PC won't even boot-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

:confused: I have uninstalled the drivers for the old grafix card, removed the old card, plugged in the new 9650, attempted to reboot and the pc doesn't even start to reboot. I removed the card and it booted up no problem with the on board video. The problem is I'm not very tech. I know enough to get myself into trouble! Is there a few things that I could try other than using this tower for a boat anchor?

Hello and Welcome to Techspot! :)

Have you checked your power supply unit (PSU :) ) wattage, and amperes on the +12V rail?
That information is located on the PSU's sticker. It should say something like:
+12V: 20A or something like:
+12V1: 16A, +12V2: 16A

I hope yours has at least 20 A on the 12V rail.
Good luck! :)

Patman said:
Is there a few things that I could try other than using this tower for a boat anchor?
That's a good one lol :haha: I didn't think about it!

Its a 15 amp stick. It works normally with the on board video card. I'll try another and get back to you thanx.

Here are the #'s on my psu.

+5.0V---14.0A
+3.3V---8.0A
+12.0V---3.5A
-12.0V---0.3A
-5.0V---0.1A
I don't know but (and I'm just guessin here) but I think that might be a wee bit low.

Patman said:
+5.0V---14.0A
+3.3V---8.0A
+12.0V---3.5A

3.5 amps is extremely low. Are you sure that's correct? :eek:
If so, you'll need a new PSU. You can get a quality PSU for under 40 bucks.

I just went out and bought a new 465W PSU

I installed the new PSU and tried to install the new vid card and squat! I am beginning to think this pc hates me! It's a Compaq Presario 5000 series. It was new in 2001. I got a new 80 gig hard drive, 384 megs of ram, a new PSU, and a new dvd burner. I have a feeling the spendin ain't done! Oh and the new vid card "radeon 9250".
:eek:

The Radeon 9650 is a Mac card which is why I thought it was for a Mac. Is this a PCI graphics card? Are you sure you fully seated the 9250 into its slot? PCI slots can be pretty tight. Also, don't take this the wrong way, but did you move the monitor cable from the onboard graphics outlet to the new card's outlet?

Sorry about the mix-up.

I think the problem might be bios or hardware not windows related. Problem is that I can't get into my bios because I bought a Compaq Presario 5000 series. It won't allow me to get into the bios by holding delete or holding F10 at start-up. All I get is a set-up screen where I can adjust the VGA with numbers like 3,5,&11(not sure what they represent) but it looks like bios. The problem that I'm having is that when the new video card is installed the pc doesn't even start to boot up. The LED on my monitor stays orange, the discs don't start, Nothing. When it is removed the pc acts normal (other than the big icons).:blackeye: I'm takin a beatin here. BOAT ANCHOR!!!:(

Patman said:
Problem is that I can't get into my bios because I bought a Compaq Presario 5000 series. It won't allow me to get into the bios by holding delete or holding F10 at start-up.(
I have the same problem with my Compaq. I try to get into the BIOS and its more like a setup, it won't even let me overclock my cpu. :dead:

BIOS' of major manufacturers like Dell, Compaq, etc. are usually limited and don't allow you to do much. If it won't allow overclocking, you are stuck.

Going into "Setup" is going into the BIOS. Different manufacturers can use different "F" keys for that purpose. Most DIY built computers use the Delete key for entering the BIOS but major manufacturers of premade PCs often use other keys.

It don't sound for the ol' compaq (glub glub)

I'm wondering if a new mother board and processor would do it. Everything else is new.:rolleyes:

Be aware that if you get another motherboard, you will likely have to also buy a new Windows XP CD. If you got a Windows CD with your Compaq, it will probably not allow you to use it on a new, different motherboard. Don't let that stop you but just be aware of it.

Is the 9250 a PCI or AGP card? If a PCI card, try another PCI slot.

BOAT ANCHOR! Haha! I like that one. But anyway... you seem to have enough knowledge of computers. Drop the "cookie-cutter" Compaq and pick up some real deal hardware. If you have the cash that is. It will save many headaches IMO.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back