HELP!! new laptop and wireless network but no working internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new dell laptop. When i turn on the computer, it says i am connected to a wireless network,and i have a full signal. however, when i click on internet explorer, nothing comes up-not even a system message, let alone a website. also, on the bottom toolbar, there is an icon of two little computers and it says "a network cable is unplugged". please help. i can't figure out what's wrong. thanks.

Click Start, Control Panel then Network Connections. You should have a Wireless connection there. Double click it. Click View Wireless Networks and you should have a wireless network there. If not click refresh network list on the left. If you do have one shown click on advanced settings then wireless settings. Click on Advanced make sure Any Available Network is checked. If more that one wireless network is showing you have to move your Up to the first position. Also do you have Wep Or Wap enabled? If so you would have to enter the key. Also make sure you are close to your wireless router when doing this to rule out a weak signal.

and one more thing.. is this a private wifi network (like a broadband conected to the router at home) or a public wifi (like when you go down to starbucks or mcdonalds and use the internet there)?

if the wifi network is locked or private, you cannot access it without the key.
If it is open and you also have a good signal, you should be able to surf.
Regardless of locked or open, the signal has to be strong enough for you to even attempt to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back