Help, newb on SATA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, please forgive me if this has been asked 100 times before. Just joined this board and after googling this question a thousand times and seeing topics 3 yrs or older I felt I need to ask you all.

I am in the process of building a new system. I bought an ASUS Crosshair mobo which has 6 Sata controllers and 1 IDE controller. I plan on putting a AMD 64 X2 5000 processor in it (when it comes available with a decent price tag).

My system I have now, I only have IDE drives installed. I have my main and a secondary I use for storage and video editing. I would like to have the same set-up I am currently using with the SATA Drives rather than IDE. The mobo only having 1 IDE port I would need that for my optical drives.

Well, I have been reading about having to use the F6 function in order for the OS to be installed on the SATA Drive. I plan on using XP 64 bit for the install. What I am wondering is, even after a few years of SATA being out do I still need to do this? It would seem that after all this time with these new drives we would be able to install windows without using the out-dated floppy (which I don't own) on newer systems. I don't know, maybe since all the info I have read is rather old it has changed.

If someone could tell me if I would be able to plug in the SATA drive and do a normal OS install without having to go through the whole process of making a floppy disk I would be happy. Just seems to me that the newer systems would allow you to run a SATA drive without the headaches. Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Marv

mreeves28xx said:
Hi all, please forgive me if this has been asked 100 times before. Just joined this board and after googling this question a thousand times and seeing topics 3 yrs or older I felt I need to ask you all.

I am in the process of building a new system. I bought an ASUS Crosshair mobo which has 6 Sata controllers and 1 IDE controller. I plan on putting a AMD 64 X2 5000 processor in it (when it comes available with a decent price tag).

My system I have now, I only have IDE drives installed. I have my main and a secondary I use for storage and video editing. I would like to have the same set-up I am currently using with the SATA Drives rather than IDE. The mobo only having 1 IDE port I would need that for my optical drives.

Well, I have been reading about having to use the F6 function in order for the OS to be installed on the SATA Drive. I plan on using XP 64 bit for the install. What I am wondering is, even after a few years of SATA being out do I still need to do this?
Yes, you do. XP has been out for nearly 6 years now, so even if it doesn't feel like it, its old. ;) If you do not have a floppy drive for temporary purposes, you can use an external USB floppy. It sounds rediculous, but its still the only way aside from slipstreaming your XP install disc. That's a whole other bag of tricks though and I'd recommend using n-lite for an easy preparation. :)

If someone could tell me if I would be able to plug in the SATA drive and do a normal OS install without having to go through the whole process of making a floppy disk I would be happy.
It depends on the controller. If you put together a SATA RAID, you need a disk almost certainly. If you plan on using just one drive or using your drives seperately, then you might be able to get by without using a floppy if you're BIOS supports IDE emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back