Help! No internet connection with new xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrated after hours of trying to diagnose the following:
Had to install XP pro after HD wouldn't boot. Installed an extra hard drive i have and put xp on that. Machine boots fine. In network connections it lists "1394 connection. but it won't go online. tried pinging the router - no success. Have a Linksys router. all other computers still go on line. My Pc says there is a connection (did repair, etc.). the ethernet jack glows. can't figure it out.
Any ideas?
Thanks much in advance,
James

Confirm Network in BIOS is enabled

Also try deleting all network connections

And download the exact driver for your Motherboard network driver

And (more!) confirm you have SP2 ( ie new install)

If you can't see the Local Area Connection in your network connections then your network card is not properly installed.

>>1394 connection.

this is a FireWire device (ie an alternative to USB) and not a Networking Device.

you say you have a router. please describe all hardware (make/Model) between
your ISP (that includes the Modem) and your system.

I'm 90% sure the problem is he doesn't have drivers installed for his NIC. If it is onboard you will need the LAN drivers from the motherboard cd, or from their website.

Agreed...

On a new fresh install of XP, they won't install the major drivers. Especially on a Dell comp. Try using the website of the computer manufacture to get a good driver for the NIC. If it has an internal wireless card, that will warrant a driver as well. The above post is correct, 1394 is FireWire.
  1. Check the website of the computer manufacture of the correct device on your machine
  2. Either download those drivers or go to the website of the actual device (i.e. Intel EtherPRO...go to intel's website)
  3. Save them to the desktop
  4. Go to the Device Manager and uninstall the network adapters
  5. Do a search for for new hardware on your machine
  6. When installing the device, use the drivers you just downloaded

If the driver packages you downloaded are executable (*.exe), you do not need to go through steps 5-6. Just double-click those exe's and let them run their course. Restart. Test them out. Post your response.

Belarc hardware advisor it's free
I'm still trying to fig out why xp show the firewire devices as a network connection
:zzz: :zzz: :haha: :wave:

Actually, Firewire is used for "audio networks", being able to connect multiple firewire interfaces, such as the Presonus Firepod, all to one host firewire port on a PC. I believe this is part of the reason, but probably not the whole story.

Firewire is also used for basic networking meaning you can connect two computers using a Firewire connection & it'll work the same (if not faster) as if you had connected them with a crossover ethernet cable.

Firewire is all of those and more. Not only can it be used for audio and networking, but also video transfers. This is not the place to discuss the functionallity of Firewire. Besides, it's not that big of a deal. It's basically USB with a little faster transfer speeds and the ability to provide more power than USB to power up electronics.

Anyway, jheckfam, did you get what you needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back