Net-IP :

netippo2.jpg

ICS-Setup :

netsharemm9.jpg

LAN-IP :

lanipkw9.jpg

XP Connection :

connectiongu5.jpg

What Am I doing wrong ? Using this setup on the client (XP-MCE2K5) there's no connection although I can see documents and I can transfer files ... Meaning it's a normal LAN setup only Internet don't work ...

Please I'm desperate for help ...

Help Me
The.Freak

ICS ??? oh yeah I remember that from windows98 SE, didnt think anyone used it anymore as Routers are so cheap these days.

Anyway heres what happens in ICS

1 PC takes an incoming ISP connection and shares it out to another PC.

Now for this to work the PC that shares the internet becomes a DHCP server, this PC then has 2 IP addresses, 1 address is the address seen by the outside world and is assigned via the ISP, the other is a private address and is usually 192.168.0.1, this address is the one that the Network card will have and is set by the ICS wizard.

The PC that is supplied with the Internet will have itself set to recieve its IP address via DHCP (the DHCP server being the PC that is running the ICS client) , there is no need to configure anything on this PC other than having its IP address assigned by DHCP.

That is basically how ICS works and under 98 and XP it works fine, your pictures however seem to be from Vista and it may be different.

Your pictures show that you are manually configuring the IP addresses, I dont know why, ICS will automatically configure the adaptor that links to the internal network with a set address (as mentioned above) and the slave PC should be set to get its address automatically. Maybe this is where you are going wrong.

I havent used Vista much I couldnt get it to join a Domain server at home so gave up and went back to XP.

Regards

10x ... man i just restarted the server and unplugged the switch that connects me to the wireless internet and now all works fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back