Help picking PCI video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthKirby

Hello this is my first time to these forums :)

I have an eMachines T1220, here are the specs:

1.20 GHz Intel Celeron Processor
128MB SDRAM (but i'll probably buy 256MB from Crucial soon)
Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller

I only have a PCI slot, so my options are limited. I was going to get a Radeon 7500, but someone on the Gamespot forums told me that card is incompatable with my system. I heard that the Radeon 9000 PCI is a good card, but $100 is a little bit past what I wanted to pay (and besides I've never seen one in any store).

The only other card I know that has pci is the " PNY NVIDIA GF4 MX420 64M", but I dont know how good this card is.

ANYWAY what PCI card should I get, and are there any other Radeon PCIs that cost less than $100?

-DK

If that Ati Radeon 7500 is a pci, then of course its compatible with your system, all pci cards are the same (as in bus speed and such, 33mhz I think) minus the full length server slots...

But personally I say you save a little bit more money and get the Radeon 9000, but I say go for the 7500:grinthumb ...Cause I dont know how much a faster card will help when you're using a pci slot:(

A Radeon 9000 PCI will easily outperform a GF4MX420 PCI, simply because it has full DirectX 8 functionality, so will get a much higher 3D Mark score. This is definitely a better choice. Also I suggest you get a 512Mb stick of RAM instead, since SDRAM is so cheap now.

Originally posted by vassil3427
minus the full length server slots...

Full length "server" slots? I think you are referring to 64-bit PCI slots. Those are on some newer mass-distributed motherboards as well, not just limited to server motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back