Help Please Before I throw my pc out the window!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a x850xt ATI RADEON graphics card. It won't work with my gateway motherboard. Can I switch to a motherboard that will support it or will that be a pain in the ****? I am just a novice computer geek so I don't really feel comfortable replacing the motherboard. Of course dh is determined for me to make the damn card fit. Does anyone know of any compatible cards that are comparable with the 850? He plays a civil war game that is shotty at best with our old 64mb crappy pci card. Suggestions?? I have 3 pci slots and
1 PCI-E x16 slot but it is at the top of my slots and won't let me insert my x850xt card!!!!

DVD Drives or Decoder Cards
102447 - NEC DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Hard Drives
102131 - 250-GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

Keyboards
102030 - Premium Black PS/2 Keyboard

Media Card Reader
100712 - 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
101313 - 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Memory
102133 - MEM DDR 512MB PC3200

Mice
102423 - Silver and Black PS/2 Wheel Mouse

Modems
101197 - 56 K PCI Modem
101198 - 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem

Motherboards
102129 - Intel (South Lake) P4 Motherboard R0

Power Supplies
102015 - 300-Watt Power Supply

Speakers
102033 - 2.0 Analog Speakers

Is the x850xt PCI-e? If so why won't it fit? If it won't fit because the case doesn't allow it, then just get a new case.

'I have 3 pci slots and 1 PCI-E x16 slot but it is at the top of my slots and won't let me insert my x850xt card!!!!'

Why not?

oops

guess I should have mentioned that LOL the reason it won't fit is there is a small box for my keyboard and mouse to plug into that is blocking it. I have a wireless mouse that runs off of a usb. Wonder if I get a keyboard that runs off a usb if I could take the chip box out? I am bout ready to just tell dh sorry bout his bad luck LOL

Just get a USB keyboard... much cheaper and way less hassle than getting a new motherboard.

Wait a minute....is this obtrusion inside or outside the case :confused: ?

Inside the case the spot where you plug the mouse and keyboard in has a little box that little box is blocking the card from going all the way down into the pci-e slot. but even if i take it off the card won't have a vent for the fan so I think I am screwed.

Well if your going down the road of replacing the motherboard, then be prepared to have to reinstall windows and activate it.

Always a pain in the rear.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back