Help please, computer shuts down before bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
The computer i just built shuts down before it will even reach the bios. It is a asus P5WD2 mother board, the a Pentium D 830, 2 gigs of pc 5200 ocz ram, 250 gig sata hard drive, 6800 gt. 480w power supply, 20 pin, the motherboard is a 24 pin, the book said this shouldn't be a problem, but what ever help you can give will be appreciated. Oh yea, as soon as i get a short beep it turns itself off.

make sure you've got ALL the nesseesary power cables hooked up. have you looked into what your manual says about said beep? and what chipset have you got yourself there? i've heard that the non-intel chipsets for the pentuim d don't do too well with ddr2... are you sure youir board supports your cpu as-is? there are lots of possibilities...

thanks for the reply first,

here is the basic look at the motherboard specs
Intel 955X chipset
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Core CPU
Native DDR2 800 Support
Universal PCI-E Slot
PEG Link
AI NOS™
Precision Tweaker

As for the beep, i have looked into that, it says its either a memory problem, hard drive, or a keyboard problem, but i never had a computer just shut down on the beep and never make it to the bios stage. I guess i'm trying to say, it starts a beep and turns off like that.

Yes i did check all the power connections, that was one of the first things i checked. Then I tried to run it by running it with just the motherboard, memory, and video card to see what happens, got the same thing.

Try the Memory

Like the title says, Try the memory. Alot of computer will shut off after beeping if the computer memory isn't installed properly. How many beeps does it give before shutting off. I am assuming this is a desktop system. Again, without memory, the computer can't do anything. Just like if there is no CPU.

I'd assume that since you have 2 gigs of ram, that you have 2+ sticks of ram. Can you try 1 stick(then the other if it still has issues) to see if you got a bad ram stick? I'm not sure if you can do that with ddr2 ram or not.
My guess would be that it's a ram issue, or a motherboard issue, or even possibly a psu issue, what wattage and amperage per rail does your psu have?

I have tried each stick by itself in each slot, and yes they are installed properly. This is the 5th system that i have built, but this is the first time i have ever had any problems, and for the the beep, it just beeps once, and less than second later everything is off, i mean instantly off.

Then chances are that the main board is requiring 24 pin connection, if you purchase a new psu, it may fix that problem. That book sometimes isn't right, if you've built 5 comps then you might understand where i am coming from on that. Human error man, human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back