Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

slr0123

My son gave me an HP Compaq nc 6220 laptop with 2Gb ram and 60 Gb hard drive loaded with WINDOWS xp for my birthday in January. I am having problems with the user accounts and permission/access being denied when trying to make changes and download things like wallpapers and games. I am the administrator, but there is another account in here which I did not create (HP Costumer) that is also an administrator. How do I eleminate this account without screwing up anything and give the total administrative control to the administrator account I created? This is really frustrating and keeping me from fully enjoying my new plaything. I use the laptop for recreational use only and I am the only user. Thanks for any help y'all can give.:wave:

you should be able to do this in safe mode. reboot the Laptop and when it is booting press F8 or it might be F12 and select safe mode from the list. Once ssfe mode is booted you should be able to log into an Administrator A/c which you will then be able to access the User A/C and then delete the HP account.

hope this helps

James

Do you know what this HP Costumer thing is? Or how it got there as an administrator? Will I be able to delete it without losing my stuff because it all seems to be on that account as opposed to the administrator account I created. I have an HP desktop and didnt have any of the issues this laptop is giving me, I dont understand where this account came from.

whan you had the Laptop was there an account on it? It sounds like that the Laptop has been an ex-demo model etc. as long as you are not using this customer account for your own stuff then you should not lose all of your stuff.

james

Thank you so much for your help so far. Not sure about the demo thing, is a possibility though. The problem is I thought I was on my account but I was on that account and my stuff is on the HP Costumer account. Also it is not letting me download and install anything, its saying access denied--not even windows messenger. I dont know what to do here. I'm totally baffled- I even went to Run and went to control userpasswords2, and I dont see how to get more access , logged in to my created account or the HP Costumer account it wont give me access to install anything, it says I have access but when I try to install anything it says access denied. Any thoughts on what to do about it?

well the issue here is the Customer Account and now that i can see it wont let u dwnload MSN etc its makes me believe even more that it is ex demo.
If it was in my shop i would say there are two options open:

1) orig option i gave and copy all your data to another account before
2) BACKUP all your info etc onto Discs and re-install the OS

James

How do I copy the data to my other account? I'm really lost here I dont know how to do that-never dealt with this situation before. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Also that account says HP Costumer that wasnt a typo it doesnt say Customer it says Costumer do you think that that is a typo on their part and they meant Customer? I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what a Costumer was in pc terms...lol.

yes it probably is a typo when the person set the account up name it. Like u i can't think of anything in pc terms called "Costumer" lol

To copy your data simply drag and drop your documents folder and any other doucments to anoter user.

You are using XP so to locate your docuemnts go to "My Computer" then open the C Drive and open Documents and Settings. Find the "Hp Costumer" account open it and then right click and select copy on the "My Documents" folder and any other stuff u want to keep. Locate another user and right click and paste.

you could also drag the whole folder to a CD and XP will burn it to disc for u.

Hope this helps

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back