help : serious hardware/software problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

am21

my system crashes (BSOD) while playing a game for 1 min or earlier. regular tasks work perfectly (playing Divx, converting, photoshop etc).

i tested my memory using memtest for several stages. didnt show any trouble.
i thought that the problem is coming from the HDD. tried adding a new hard disk

my system :

AMD sempron 2400+
gigabyte razr motherboard
256mb ddr 400mhz IBM ram (motherboard works at 333)
2 sata hard disks (hitachi 80GB and 250GB)
geforce MX4000 agp 8x 64mb vga
onboard 6 channel audio

i can post full hardware specs if required.

i found the dump file at %SystemDrive%\Windows\Minidump

uploaded it for your reference
http://rapidshare.com/files/3424749/Minidump.zip.html

can someone recommend me a solution ?

Your first dump shows ntoskrnl.exe (nt+11f05) and the second shows ntoskrnl.exe (nt+19000)!!

Looks to me like ram instability!!!!

You say your ram is 400mhz and your mobo is 333, that could be the cause possibly!?!?!

yes exactly.. my motherboard is 400 mhz and ram is 400mhz. regular pc operation works fine. even memtest86 didn't show any trouble. how can i sort this out ? do i need to replace the ram ? i have set the ram to work in 333 in bios. hardware guy told me that my ram is compatible with either 333 or 400. actually motherboard is 400 but my processor is 333.

Hmmm, a bit of a dilemma that!!!

A processor that runs at 400 would probably be the best fix but may be hard to find these days!!!!

Have a look here - www.crucial.com - and see what their database says about ram for your mobo!!!! They are a bit on the expensive side so i don't advise you buy from them but their database is prety usefull!!!!

crucial.com cannot detect my installed memory. i've 256mb ram and crucial detects it as 512mb :(

since I'm from asia I'm not sure whether its possible to order online. they recommend me PC3200 ram which is really based on my motherboard database.

finally managed to resolve the problem. so far it didn't pop up that BSOD.

thanks a lot guys. Rik you are a genius :)

Rik's solution : force the memory to work at 400mhz

Im glad its sorted!!! Thanx for the compliment, but i'm no genious, just had an idea that worked!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back