Help Serious Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have just started up my computer to find that my desktop was no longer. I am running a Dell and all that came up on the desktop was the origonal dell logo background, recycle bin, IE explorer and sony ericson file manager (for sony ericson phones). It also was running very slowley and the hard disk seemed to be taking very small steps (ie the normal ticks you can hear from it were short but regular every second or so.) whenever i tried to do anything. I have lost every thing on the desktop. When i tried to do a system restore it restarted and said it could not restore to that point. I subsequently tried several other points to no avail. I then decided to try starting up in safe mode and restoring from that, no joy. i then wanted to look and see if my files from my desktop profile were still there. I went into documents and settings, and then to my profile folder. It wouldnt open! It came back saying drive c isnt formated would you like to format it now!!!!!! errrr no thanks as it is obviously working as i can view everything else. I checked my programefiles folder, everything seems to be fine there. I am currently running a virus scan but it is taking for ever.

I recently deleted all my files in the %temp% location through RUN, as i was advised to do so by someone on another spftware matter, would this have done it?

Anyone any idea please, i have got so much stuff on that desktop its unreall, music, pictures, work the lot?

Thanks for reading

Try going into the Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the Windows screen appears. See if your desktop icons appear there. Reboot and tell us if all is well

no joy

nope no joy still the DELL background and same icons. Its the fact that when i go into my personal folder from the c drive it hangs for ages then says. The disk c is not formated do you want to format it now? which makes no sense coz the computer just booted from it! Programes seem to work fine if a little slow but i have lost everything on that profile

I'm afraid you are going to have to try and repair XP. Place a XP CD in the CDROM and boot from it. Follow the on-screen instructions. It will look like XP is installing new, but when you get to the SECOND (not the first) repair screen, select repair, and your programs and documents should still be there

slight problem with that

There is a slight problem with that. I dont have the origonal xp cd, lost it in a move. Can i boot from any xp cd?

You can boot from an original OEM XP, but it will not allow a format and install that preserves your data. You can boot from a Full version of XP, and all data can be preserved whether in repair. If you attempt from a restore or recovery disc that is not designed (and with a label) for that particular model, that disc will not work.
If you boot from an OEM version of Windows XP, watch your install screens very carefully to avoid wiping out data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back