Help! Task Manager keeps loading hidden iexplore.exe processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwaggie

Hi, uhh, signed up here to get some help, because, well, I can't find a solution anywhere else.

Anyways, basically, whenever I use iexplore.exe (internet explorer 6 with SP2), and then close, I always seem to still have an iexplore.exe process running, which normally goes between 25,400k-25,600k. Now, I use msn and yahoo messengers, as well as AVG virus checker (7.5.472 version, 269.9.4/860 virus base).

It's never done this before and just started doing it about 3 days ago.

Can anyone help me stop this phantom iexplore.exe process, and also, find out why the hell it's doing it, and what's doing it, in the first place?

Any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks a ton,

- Dwaggie

EDIT: Made a mistake in the title of this thread. Should say process - it only ever loads one additional iexplore.exe process.

Hi, I did most of the steps, and I've found NOTHING with all of my virus checkers, with spybot, and the rest of my stuff. I've attached the log file of HJT. Can ya help?
Edited by Moderator: No need for a double post if there are no replies between your current post and the last post, unless bumping the thread. In that case, please wait at least 24 hours before doing so. Otherwise, simply use the "Edit post" button instead.
And it's still doing it X_x

Hi,

Your hijackthis log looks clean.

However, I need to look at the other logs to be sure. You have not posted your combofix and avg antispyware logs, as well as posting the results of avg antirootkit scan. Please do so in your next reply.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Dwaggie only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi. I've not done that yet because I'm rather nervous about installing programs of which I do't know what they are. Although I have done some investigating of my own today, and I've found out that it's definitely IE causing the problem, not yahoo or MSN or anything, because I went for four hours today without the messengers on, only internet explorer with various surfing, and it happened again, so it's definitely an IE problem. I've just completely uninstalled everything to do with internet explorer, and have done a fresh install of internet explorer 7, and it's not done it again. I'm gonna attempt a downgrade from IE7 to IE6, and see how that goes now.

I'll keep you informed.
Do you know what could have been the problem, out of the info that I've given you? Is there any cases where this has happened before?

Hi,

The programs ComboFix, AVG Anti-spyware and AVG anti-rootkit are tried and tested free-ware that we use often in helping others online to remove malware. You can be assured that we definitely do not recommend rogue spyware programs here. That said, I hope you will post the logs from the afore-mentioned programs as they will help tremendously in the diagnosis and solution to your problem.

Regarding your problem, is the 'hidden' iexplore.exe in your applications tab or processes tab? Are you able to kill it? If so, does it come back, with or without opening IE? Does this problem occur if you use firefox or other browsers?

Please conduct a search for iexplore in your files and folders (including hidden) and let me know the full filepaths.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Dwaggie only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There's no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you're only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that particular section.

Hi. The hidden IExplore.exe is in the processes tab. It only happens when I use IE6. It does NOT happen when I use firefox. Only one comes up. Ugh. I think I've screwed something up, because now it can't find any model of iexplore.exe

I can't do anything right today :(

Hi,

Does that mean your problem is gone, or you cannot find any instance of iexplore.exe in your system? If it is the latter, can you run your IE browser at all?

With regards to my previous question, are you able to kill that process without it coming back? I cannot be fully sure that your system is clean without looking a ComboFix and AVG Antispyware log together with your hijackthis log.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back