Help "vcr to computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

art601st

Hello, I'm new here and I am trying to connect a 8mm vcr to my Dell computer. I have RCA connection on the output and I was told to try to use the USB input of the computer. Is that the right way to go and if so, where can I obtain such a cable? Art

It's about $80.00 more than a cable, you need a capture device to convert composite video (yellow RCA) to USB 2.0. Here's one http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX-AV100U.htm (note: I have no experience with this unit, though Plextor has a good reputation). If you're still running Win98, you're in for a bad time. Video captue and editing requires a lot of horse power. You need a fast machine with at least a gig of RAM and a bunch of drive space. Figure on 1GB per 4 minutes.

Another option is to install an internal video capture card such as an ATI All In Wonder. This is what I have on one of my machines and it works quite well.

If you get semi-serious about this, you ought to get a miniDV camera and go 1394 FireWire for your interconnect. This totally rocks! I only use the ATI capture card when dealing with old footage shot on legacy media.

recording video to computer

I already have a capture card devince in my computer. I had called Dell and they informed me of such. They just don't tell me enough for me to get going. I also have a cable (yellow) which I believe is the video cable with a RCA plug on it and the other end is with a miniture plug and it has some sort of device next to it. It's about 1/2 in diameter and 1 1/2" length. I don't know what it's for. I have a jack in the rear of the computer next to the audio input which is color coded yellow. Is that the input for the video? Once I get this going then I will follow up on your advice and improve whatever I can on it. Art

I'd go to the dell website and puul up the manual for your machine to verify if that yellow jack is in fact a composite video input. Most of the time, these are composite video outputs so that you can hook up a TV as a shadow monitor. (very good for PP presentations). Dells phone support is very good at telling you what you wanna hear to get you off the line IMO.

The yellow ended cord you described is a composite video cord.

It should be pretty easy to verify if in fact you do have a video car that is capable of capture. right click on the desktop, select properties, click on the settings tab, and click on the advanced button. There should be a tab with capture setting if you do in fact have a capture device.

Your next obsticle is software. A good place to start is Ulead Video Studio. It's a hundred bucks but there is a 30 day free trial that is fully functional. http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm It's a very basic application and you can build DVD's with it. A very good "get your feet wet" beginner video editor application. I still use this application for capture most of the time because it's fast and easy. I have moved on to 2 of their other products, Media Studio and DVD Workshop.Those 2 are a little hairy, not to mention 3 & 4 hundred bucks respectively, but worth every cent.

I do a lot of video editing and am happy to give you hints. I visit this site pretty much once or twice a day. I'll try to watch for this thread.

The Best Alias

Thanks a milliion. The response was just what I wanted. I KNOW I have a VIDEO CAPTURE CARD. I will definitely look into the information and material you sent me and get started on it. I will get the Software you mentioned and once started if I feel the need to progress further, then I will do so. I don't think that I'm going to get DEEP into this but I have a lot of video of the children, grandchildren etc. that I want to put on DVD. Once again...THANKS............. Art : :wave:

I forgot to mention to you that I am running Windows XP. Art :hotbounce

Cool! Glad I could help. My last piece of advice is to not get intimidated by the process. there is a bit of a learning curve with video editing, but once you get the hang of it, it's really quite fun.

For: Best Alias

I printed out the email you responded to however, it only printed out part of the message. It was www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19162&goto=newpost It began with you telling me to go to dellwebsite. You said "it should be pretty easy to verify if in fact you do have a video card that is capable of capture....."THAT'S WHERE I GOT CUT OFF". Sorry to bother you but could you send that over so that I can properly print it again. I had just come from Circuit City to get some cables and from what they told me I need a conversion kit. I thought that if I had the video card and the software that I would be set up. If I have both the video card and the program, can't I just hook up the camcorder (Anolog) to the computer? Art :hotbounce

I guess you have your prefs set up for eMail responses so I'll just cut-n-paste what I wrote before.

redundancy is bliss

I'd go to the dell website and puul up the manual for your machine to verify if that yellow jack is in fact a composite video input. Most of the time, these are composite video outputs so that you can hook up a TV as a shadow monitor. (very good for PP presentations). Dells phone support is very good at telling you what you wanna hear to get you off the line IMO.

The yellow ended cord you described is a composite video cord.

It should be pretty easy to verify if in fact you do have a video car that is capable of capture. right click on the desktop, select properties, click on the settings tab, and click on the advanced button. There should be a tab with capture setting if you do in fact have a capture device.

Your next obsticle is software. A good place to start is Ulead Video Studio. It's a hundred bucks but there is a 30 day free trial that is fully functional. http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm It's a very basic application and you can build DVD's with it. A very good "get your feet wet" beginner video editor application. I still use this application for capture most of the time because it's fast and easy. I have moved on to 2 of their other products, Media Studio and DVD Workshop.Those 2 are a little hairy, not to mention 3 & 4 hundred bucks respectively, but worth every cent.

I do a lot of video editing and am happy to give you hints. I visit this site pretty much once or twice a day. I'll try to watch for this thread.

to: the best alias

You're right about the settings for email. How do I change them to print from TechSpot. Don't know if you received my last reply as I don't think I used the right forum. I'll have to really take time out and learn about forums. As I told you.....I DO HAVE a video capture card. I also have a Sony TR700 (analog) camcorder which has a s-video output. I was told my Dell to hook it up to the USB port (I have 4 left). Now I'm trying to get a cable with a S-VIDEO MALE JACK and a MALE USB jack. I've searched all over including the internet with NO LUCK. Do you have any idea where I can search for one? I will definitely download the ULead software for the beginning. It sounds like it will work out just fine until I really get going on it. Thanks for all the info so far and hoping you can help out with the cables etc. Art :hotbounce

art601st said:
I DO HAVE a video capture card.
Which brand & model?

I also have a Sony TR700 (analog) camcorder which has a s-video output. I was told my Dell to hook it up to the USB port (I have 4 left).
:confused:
It can't work like that, analog S-Video signals don't work with digital USB directly. Sounds like you and Dell person misunderstood each other.

I did a littl e more research and this Plextor is probably right for you. Newegg has an OEM package for less than $60.00. http://www.newegg.com/app/searchPro...scription=usb+video+capture&srchFor=PX-AV100U

Just make sure you computer meets it's minimum system requirements. This device will accept either composite or S video inputs so any analog VCR or camcorder will plug right into it. The output of the device connects to your PC via a USB 2.0 cable. It even comes with WinDVD Creator which is really crappy software, but it's a starting point. All the cables you need are included (for sure in the retail box, maybe in the OEM package). I really think this is probably your quickest and easiest solution. Newegg ships quick. Here are the critical minimum system requirements for this device:

CPU: 1.8 GHz minimum (faster is better)
RAM: 256MB minimum (I'd say 512MB myself, I use 2GB)
Video Card must be DirectX compatable. ( almost all of them are these days)
Interface: Hi-Speed USB 2.0
DVD+/- RW: To burn DVDs and CDs
OS Support: Windows 2000/XP

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Which brand & model?

:confused:
It can't work like that, analog S-Video signals don't work with digital USB directly. Sounds like you and Dell person misunderstood each other.

I'd say this is a given.
:stickout:

To change your eMail settings, go to the user profile (top right) and edit your settings accordingly. It makes the REAL aces around here happy if you fill out your system specs too. It aids greatly in hardware specific questions & solutions.

vcr to computer

Thanks once again. I just ordered the Plextor converter from newegg.com Yes, there had to be miscommunication between Dell and myself. Also one person at Dell told me I had a Video Capture Card and after following your instructions, I find I don't have one. I also have to get some more RAM as I know I don't have half of what I need. I really appreciate all the help. I am learning a lot before I even start. Will take one step at a time. Art :knock:

I am very disappointed in Dell for moving their tech suck port to India. More jobs outsourced. It's torture to have somebody on the other end reading answers off a monitor vs working with someone who knows what they're talking about.

Though I have no experience with that particular device, Plextor has a great reputation, the device has good reviews, and the price is right. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back