Help w/ icon identifying some files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with the icons identifying some of my files and I can't seem to find pertinent search terms to describe the problem. so forgive me for doing it this way.

The name of the file in the icon(ex., abc.exe) is "invisible" (white type over white background). When I do a one-click highlight , the info is visible. It happens on older files only but incidents with the same attributes are in every folder.
Have a screenshot but don't know how to show it :rolleyes: .

Can anyone give some ideas as to what happened and/or how to fix it?

Thanks

Dell Precision Workstation 340 P4-2GHZ.

Win XP PRO, AVG Free Edition antivirus, AdawareSE antispyware.

Thank you.

That is a heck of a mahcine.
It could be hardware or software issues, due to age.
I take it that your computer is the Dell Precision Workstation 340 built in about March of 2001... so it is getting long in the tooth.
It has been an extremely reliable machine for a long time. Few releases in drivers or firmware.
The BIOS was last updated in 2004, but if you do not have it, do install that first.
Otherwise, it probably has a lot of components that need replacing... but try updating the video drivers first.
If your hard drive is more than three years old, replace it, and save all the data.
If it were mine, I would replace the hard drive, and video graphics card, as they are likely worn out or aged, depending, of course, on what you have already included in regular maintenance, service, and upgrades.
But it could be as simple as saving your data, and then reinstalling WindowsXP Pro and the microsoft updates. Clean it of dust and hair.

Thank you

Thank you so much for your rapid and comprehensive reply.

Indeed, she is getting a bit long in tooth and, also has been very reliable (considering my inept experimentation!).

I have been putting off a re-install for some time.

I will take your advice and begin with the software/driver possibililties and then move on to hardware.

Thank you again for your you help. May I be able to pass it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back