Help - What's wrong with this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm having more and more serious issues with my computer...

After having problems with some software and games (PC crashing...), I decided to format the primary hard drive... And I could never use my PC normally again!
First, the slave drive crashed, with an ugly scratching sound that told me it was time to get a new one.
Then, I re-installed XP pro and all the drivers but after a while, the PC crashed again while gaming (GTA San Andreas), and I couldn't use the PC anymore... So I formatted again...
Then, again, I re-installed XP pro, and this time, ZoneAlarm crashed it and it never recovered, so guess what? Well, let's format it once more.
So that was last weekend. Since then I've tried to format + install XP and I can't even do that anymore! When I tried to install XP after formatting it told me the file XXX (tried several times, never the same file) could not be copied on the hard drive and that the CD-rom may be damaged... Later on, I couldn't even format the drive anymore: it told me that it's not possible, that the hard drive may be damaged...
I removed all unecessary peripherals (I kept only 1 hard drive, removed some memory and a USB HUB...), thinking it may be because of power deficiency. Then I switched hard drives and tried another 40-pin HD cable... Nothing worked, I still get the same message of formatting problems...
So, anybody with an idea of what's going on? Is it the motherboard, the power supply? I doubt it comes from the HDs as one is brand new and I have the same problems with the 2 of them...
Is there any diagnosis tool I could use on a bootable CD?
Of course I'd rather wait to know what's going on before buying any new part...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers!

Tough to pinpoint it without being there to troubleshoot. You could try the tools on the Ultimate Boot CD found here to run some tests:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Have you tried a different XP cd? Also either update/Flash or reset the bios.

Thanks Fastco for your reply. I'll reset the bios and try UBCD, although the tools on it focus moslty on hard drive, CPU and memory...
I do have 2 CDs of XP which I both tried, but the same problems occured (formatting not possible and some files couldn't be copied).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back