HELP! Why does Windows think cpu overheating while Linux stable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I have a dual-boot setup with XP-Pro (SP2) and Fedora Linux on the same PC but separate physical drives.

I recently bought a new Athlon XP 3200+ and an all-copper heatsink to go with it.

The computer runs rock solid under Linux, but after a couple of hours under Windows, the computer will suddenly "shut down" (instantly exits and goes black) as if it is detecting a cpu overheat (it isn't. Only 49'C, well below max spec). If I down-clock the cpu, Windows runs rock solid too.

Is there a setting in Windows that monitors cpu temp (no such tray apps running)? If it were the motherboard/bios, Linux would be crashing too.

The drives check out fine (Western Digital, verified with their diagnotic software as ok). And since everything runs solid at lower speeds under Windows, that also suggests it is not the drives.

This is too weird. Anyone else hear of anything like this?

It is probably your memory that objects to overclocking under Windows.
Run memtest from www.memtest86.org for at least 7 cycles to assure it is NOT your physical memory.
Have you installed all service packs and updates?

I'm NOT overclocking!

realblackstuff said:
It is probably your memory that objects to overclocking
I'm NOT overclocking. I can stabilize the computer by UNDER clocking the CPU, but at it's designated speed, under Windows, the computer will spontaneously shut off (power on, but goes black and doesn't reboot), while Linux does not... suggesting it's not the BIOS shutting the computer off.

PS: My ram, one stick of DDR400, is brand new and I've already run MemTest on it (boot disk).

Is your CPU a Barton with a 333MHz or 400MHz bus?
If not, your mobo does not support that CPU.
As Linux is a lot less demanding of a CPU, it will probably tolerate more discrepancies.
Check that you have proper thermal paste between CPU and cooler.
If you open it up, check the serial-nr and model-nr on the CPU and compare with the list in our CPU forum. Somebody might have sold you a 'modified' Duron or whatever.
Check that the printing on the CPU is proper, not a manually (very cleverly) altered text.
What speed is showing at bootup on the boot-screen?

To monitor temps in Windows, get Speedfan here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Also perhaps get CPU-Z here: http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php
it can tell what CPU you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back