Help! windows xp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry if i posted this topic wrong but i am panicing because my computer keeps popping up with this message
A problem has been detected and Widnows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
unmountable_Boot Volume

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disableor remove and newly installed software. If you nedd to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 tyo select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** Stop: 0x000000ED (0x823DCC08,0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

I do not know much about computers and i tried to start it in safe mode but then the message just keeps on popping up, so if anyone can help, and tell me how to fix it step by step i would appreciate it

The most common cause for this problem is a damaged file system. To fix this, follow these steps:
1) Put your Windows XP CD in the drive and restart your computer
2) Boot from the CD and when it asks you what to do, press R (repair option) to access the recovery console
3) Select the windows you want to access from the recovery console and enter an administrative password if you have one
4) type in "chkdsk /r" without the quotes to begin disk error checking
5) when chkdsk finishes, type "exit" to restart your computer

When the computer starts up again the problem should be gone.

P.S. Welcome to TechSpot. Read the rules and next time post in the right section (TechSpot OpenBoards > OS & Software > Windows OS) :D

Hope this fixes your problem. :D

well thanks for replying, and i apologize for posting in the wrong topic but i don't even know the difference between these sections because i'm coputer challenged, anyway i'm not sure where my xp cd is, but hopefully i'll find it
i'll try you're method tomorrow, and i'll keep you updated

and do you no what might have caused the problem, because i never installed anything recently and i have never had a problem with this computer
and by following your steps, is there anyway i could possibly lose all my files? because if there is i probably won't try it, and take it to a professional

thanks so much,
jordyn

Yes you could potentially lose some data, but I can't think of any other ways...anyone else have any ideas?

ok is the cd i'm supposed to put in a white and reddish color, because i put the cd in that says windows re-installation and absolutely nothing different happened

There are 2 possible explanations for that.
1) The copy of windows you have is not a bootable copy. In this case, try asking a friend to borrow his or her copy.
2) You don't have your CD drive listed as a boot device. To make it one of the boot devices, go into your BIOS and set your CD drive as the primary boot device and set your hard drive as the secondary boot device. This way, when you have a bootable disk in your CD drive and you restart your computer, windows will ask you if you want to boot from it.

OMG IT WORKS!!!!!!
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOo MUch iNoob, you have no idea how happy you've made me!!!
And the best part is that i didn't lose any files!!
anyway i figured out that i just had to change the boot sequence for the cd drive to work, and then i tried your codes and magic!!!

Thanks again,
Jordyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back