Help with a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a conpaq with AMD Athlon XP Processor (1.53GHZ)
512MB PC2100ddr Total Memory System
60GB Ultra DMA HARD Drive

My pc has been freezing up a lot lately and I am tired of erasing all the memory, so I bought a Maxtor Diamond Max 10, 200 gb PATA133 HDD Hard Drive. After reading my instructions I found out I need an Ultra ATA/133PCI card. Is there anything else I need here? I woud greatly appreciate any help I can get.

You do not need an ATA PCI card. The controller is already built into your system's motherboard.

Are you sure you know what you are doing?

reply from harleytec

I have only been into pc's since 2002 when I bought this one. I also have a Dell laptop and I changed the hard drive in it from 40gb 5400rpm to 80gb w/7200 rpm with no problem. I'm just going by what the damn instruction booklet says. It is telling me that when going to a larger hd than 137gb that the card must be changed in order to not lose data. I can fix a harley though....very well. i'm a certified tech. Take care

If you are running XP with SP2 just use the utilities that shipped with the drive, MaxBlast i believe. This will allow your system to see/use the entire 200G. and you have the option of cloning the old HDD right to the new one.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back