Help with copying files from old drive to new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juanra

I have a 40gb ide hard drive and I'm thinking of buying an 80Gb drive. Is there a way to copy the things from the 40gb to the 80gb and set the 80gb as master and the 40 as slave?

does the old drive contain data only or is the operating system installed to it?
you could put both drives in you pc and either copy the data to the new drive or use an imaging program, such as driveimage or ghost, and make an image of your system drive. then apply the image to your new drive and everything will be as before, just more disk space. be aware that you need a place to store the image at. can be a usb hdd...

hope this helps you
mscrx

you can back up all data from one drive and restore it to another drive with Acronis True Image.

yes, great tool but around $50 per license :-(
btw, are there any good imaging tools out as freeware?

i've got a Hardware HD Cloner - will copy everything, partitions...everything. Costs are steep but worth it if you clone regulary.

Simon

Btw, forgot to add:

HDClone is also a very good bootable HDCloner that does the job perfectly - copies files and the MBR.

Simon

do search here been ask a thousand times
seagate disk wizard free will make drive bootable
on first boot of cloned drive make sure the original is out then install and erase OS
you can have corruption errors if you leave this on the slave(old )drive
and boot conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back