help with counterstrike fps problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a relatively new computer that I bought in the summer of 2002. Recently I installed a 128 mb GeForce 5600 video card.

My problem is that I can only get a max of 30 fps on counterstrike. I know how to use the console function, and some of the commands, but by no means am I an expert. I know people with video cards that are much worse than the one I have get better fps, and its driving me nuts.

In CS goto configuration>Video>Video Modes (or something like that) set it to "OpenGL" NOT software or whatever.
In your cstrike folder look for a file called "config.cfg" (I'm a DOD player CS should have the same file in it) open it with notepad look for "fps_max=72" change 72 to 100 (HL can not go above 100, don't even try)
next open up your display settings>advanced> and keep on drilling down till you find the "OpenGL" tab look for a setting like "wait for verticle sync" and turn it off.
You are set...Open CS (try DOD someday you might like it) and pull down the consule (hit the ~ key) type in "net_graph 3" and your fps will be displayed.
jump into cs

wuts the problem?
your can see past 12 fps anyways
i average about 18fps @ 800x600 in CS on my old pentium III system and its is perfectly playable to me. albeit i must say i do not have an "eye"
DOD is a nice game, but still cant get the hang of the moving middle crosshair
any tips from any of you for DOD or CS for a n00b??

I have my fps locked at 40 with AA turned on and i own. I also use this handy prog callHLTooLz. It works for every HL mod, ever since i used it i've never played CS like i have before.:D

Ah when you guys talking about ftp make me confuse, i alway look at my ping when I play cs, "Tab" but I know ping are not accurate as ftp. 10 ping is god like imo, its shot faster, smoother aim and bullet hit faster.

I alway get 250- 300 ping on all the server i Play but got 30 ping when I play at server which are located in my state :)

What is an good ftp? 40 - 50 is good? :blackeye:
hey cool HLTooLz ^^ i try it

Condor, ever likely you're confused.

FTP = File Transer Protocol... = Something completely different, and is nothing to do with CS or any other game, I think you mean FPS, which is Frames Per Second, which is exactly what it says, Frames per second rendered.

Ping however as you may or may not know, is the Latency or Lag, between you and the server.

Meaning, Lower Ping + Higher FPS = Good sh1t ;)

The reason you get better ping to local servers, are obviously a) because you're closer to them, but the reason for this is there are less "hops" between you and the server.

Cs Low fps in smoke!!!

Hey I have a Radeon 7200 with 512 Mg on board, 128 on Video, and I get all the time 150-170 FPS in Counter-Strike, I love it! I don't think it can be my internet, I have DSL Exreme, and low Ping, but when it comes to going into or through smoke, it dropes so much, down to 20's and 30's could it be by chance memory? I don't know please help, I've tried all I can do!!!! Ahhh! Please!!! Thanks! Anymore Q:'s you need please ask!

Re: Cs Low fps in smoke!!!

Originally posted by darkblue
Hey I have a Radeon 7200 with 512 Mg on board, 128 on Video, and I get all the time 150-170 FPS in Counter-Strike, I love it! I don't think it can be my internet, I have DSL Exreme, and low Ping, but when it comes to going into or through smoke, it dropes so much, down to 20's and 30's could it be by chance memory? I don't know please help, I've tried all I can do!!!! Ahhh! Please!!! Thanks! Anymore Q:'s you need please ask!

everyone slows down a bit when they go through smoke. i slow down quite a bit when i go through 4 smoke grenades. and that is with 4xFSAA and 16xAA.

I had this problem before with my radeon 9600pro, I'm only getting 15-60 fps (15-30fps most of the time). But when I downloaded new skin(more simpler ones), BOOM! the fps goes all the way up to 90-150fps, even in the smoke, sometimes it have 110fps still.
Just try it, it might works for you as well.

Oh and type "developer 1" in the console to have fps above 100.

YOU WANT 100 FPS

Okay you want 100 FPS! Just listen up

STEPS:
-Visit www.clanunb.uni.cc
-Click the FORUMS tab at the top of the page
-enter the forums (YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO REGISTER)
-Scroll dow to TIPS AND TRICKS
-Click FPS IMPROVEMENT
-And follow what it says

AFTER VISIT THE POLL TAKE A VOTE TELL ME IF IT WORKS IF YOUR IN A CS CLAN VISIT THE CONTACT US TAB on the homepage AND E-MAIL -[U.N.B.]-Neufy IF YOU WANT TO BE RECRUITED OR SCRIM!!

hey aimless, your link doesn't work, try it again or see if u cpoied it right, because i get an fps promlem, too, my PC specs are..

Intel Pentium 4 processor
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce MX 420
40% of drive space free
CS:S
Windows XP/SP2

any help?...i know its like "turn swettings down.." but is there any1 who can think outside the box on this one and tell me what to do other than just, turn settings down, like something with better results than that?

The last person to post here was almost 2 years ago... please make a new thread if you have a problem, instead of resurrecting old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back