Help with emachine w2260

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading the news the computer shut down. Then a burnt smell. Computer wouldn't turn back on after it happened last night.

Today as soon as you plug in the power there is some noise (fan maybe) The power light doesn't illuminate, but the cd rom will open. There is no signal to the monitor.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Dead eMachine

It sounds like the power supply is bad. I've worked with 4 eMachines over the past few years and all had power supplies that died. 3 were dead dead, nothing happened when power button was pushed. 1 behaved as you described, a partial start. In this case everything turned on, fans, hard drives, etc. but then went dead. Having a spare PS lying around, I simply replaced the PS and everything was back to normal. Same with the other systems. 3 had the small proprietry PSs and the last had a standard sized PS.

Anyway, I would check out the PS. I think other folks on this forum are better equiped to offer advise on testing a PS.

Good luck
Monton

Ive worked on several eMachines where the PS has failed bucause of bad capacitors. Hopefully it didnt damage anything else but there is a good chance the motherboard was damaged. Any power supply can be swapped in there. Id get an Antec or Enermax. You can find them for under $45.

emachines w2260

there a smell like tires in my tower before i notice my key board and mouse was odd. only could used in caps then the mouse when i click on item would pull up wrong window. before comp not rebooteding every thing was odd recycle bend was only icon that would pull up . so now my comp want power on help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back