Help with external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a dell 3000 with windows XP pro and a few days ago i got a compaq server proliant 5000 to make a long story short i took the 4 bay hard drive holder and the 4 hard drives and the scsi PCI card and got it all installed on my dell windows detected it and said the drivers were installed my problem is when i go into my computer and see the hard drive on my dell that it came with is the only hard drive i see i use desk wizard and i see them on the tree but im not able to click on them what do i need to do to get it all working in conjuction??? please help i also hear the external hard drives they sound like jet air planes

You need to make sure your Dells bios detect the SCSI cards hard drive array properly. Is this 4-drive bay connected to the SCSI controller? Go into the bios and see if the 4 drives are actually being detected. How are these 4 drives formatted? NTFS or FAT32? How is the detected original Dell hard drive formatted?

how do i get into the bios? it says on the hard drive DRV/TRY2.1GBWD im not sure of any thing else i use disk wizard and i see them on the tree but im not ably to click on them to format them

randy2411 said:
how do i get into the bios? it says on the hard drive DRV/TRY2.1GBWD im not sure of any thing else i use disk wizard and i see them on the tree but im not ably to click on them to format them

You can try pressing the F1 or F2 or F10 or DEL keys while the computer is booting up before Windows is displayed to get into the bios. You are not able to "click" on the drives in the device list in Disk Wizard because the computer's bios isn't detecting them properly

is this a 80 pin hotswap
if so you need to install raid software drivers for the hotswap backplane
if not and it is 60 pin with power
this tree you refer is it explorer windows
what happens if you right click on a drive
are the drives lettered
on boot do you see the scsi controller come up with a ctrl /a option
to edit the scsi config
the drives need to be initialized on boot in a array

hello

im not sure if they are 80 pin or 60 all i know is im taking the hard drives out of a compaq proliant 5000 server and installing them into my dell 3000i have the SCSI adapter PCI card now in my comp and my comp recognizes the SCSI card but not the barracuda seagate st32550w hard drives im not sure where to go from here the hard drives that i took out of the server are all removable and the docking bay was in the compaq but now it's hooked up to my dell now it is all pluged in but not totaly working yet

randy2411 said:
im not sure if they are 80 pin or 60 all i know is im taking the hard drives out of a compaq proliant 5000 server and installing them into my dell 3000i have the SCSI adapter PCI card now in my comp and my comp recognizes the SCSI card but not the barracuda seagate st32550w hard drives im not sure where to go from here the hard drives that i took out of the server are all removable and the docking bay was in the compaq but now it's hooked up to my dell now it is all pluged in but not totaly working yet
SCSI can be strange to configure. SCSI-I has 8 devices (8) is the card itself
and SCSI-II/III have LU ids thru 64.

The usual error is
a) not terminating the SCSI chain at both ends (yes the controller needs termination too
b) allowing ALL devices to be scanned at boot time; some controllers only scan
slots 0-1 unless config'd otherwise

a mobo with native scsi support will have these controls in the BIOS,
while a PCI add-on needs a utility program to alter the settings

seagate shows a st32550w as a 60 pin
if the power plug is standard type from PSU then this is not hotswap
removable does not mean hotswapable
the system should see the drives
on boot when the controller comes up do a ctrl A or alt A
they differ as to what need pressed to get to the card bios may need to set defaults

did you put the drives in the same order?
check the drive trays make sure they all match the channel numbers
this may help doesn't hurt
I think these need a live terminator

the drive bay dosent have any numbers to signafy wchich hard drive should go where and the hard drives dont have numbers eather once im in the bios where do i go from there?

look for scsi controller in boot order
make it boot this first
again make sure you have raid (scsi)drivers installed
then on boot you should see a scsi interface prompt come up
if it says something like press alt A to config scsi's do this you may need to do this to mount the drives
should only have to do once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back