Help with LOW FPS Computer Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane001

Hi there, my computer has recently started becoming REALLY REALLY SLOW in games, for example i play Americas Army online alot my computer Spec is:

2.4Ghz Celeron Processor
768Mb DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 9550GE 256MB AGP Card,
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Sound Card
80GB ExcelStor Harddrive

And Games such as Americas Army i get 10-14 FPS during gameplay, during action they Drop to nearly 8FPS i mean there must be something wrong, or is the computer spec not good enough and i am meant to be having those FPS, by the way these are on the LOWEST Detail in game, any help would be apreciated thank you.

Hmm, first off delete the game but don't re-install. Then buy these:

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130284
That video card is a new one (eVGA Geforce 7600GT) and is very cheap for it's performance currently. This card should allow you to run America's Army at even highest settings I think.

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145505 (Corsair RAM is recommended for gaming.)

Processor:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539(AMD kicks Intel's **** when gaming, especially Celerons)

Motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127222 (Obviously, if you're going to get new parts, you'll need a new motherboard.)

And that is what you need. If you think it costs too much, then get an AMD Athlon 3200+(Awesome) and get a 6600GT Video card or 6800GT(There's a special for 6800 and it's cheap as 6600GT) Also, get a power supply (400W+) I can't recommend any right now as I must leave. Btw, that is an AWESOME gaming system for not too much money. You SHOULD be able to play America's Army on HIGHEST SETTINGS fine. But while you're at it, why don't you buy an FPS? Counterstrike: Source is famous, Half-life 2 is a must in most people's opinions. Battlefield 2 is awesome but if you can't run it at highest settings, then it's because you need 2 GB RAM.

Akifuddin whoa whoa whoa.

He didnt ask for you to layout a whole freaking system for him.

Simply saying BUY THIS is not helping the person out.

Maybe suggest a few upgrades. But not a whole revamped system.

Now insane101

Maybe you would consider buying another stick of 256 RAM to bring you up to one gig. That would

For a short term fix, i would turn off all the eye candy in the game (AA and AF) and maybe drop your resolution

You could also invest in a better video card.

thanks for the help, i think i need 2 upgrade my ram and a few bits and bobs, problem is i only have 2 ram slots so i need 2 get one more 512mb ram, plus on my motherboard book it says it can only take up to PC2700 isnt that too slow?, my computer spec beats the recomended requirements for americas army but it still runs really bad on low detail at the lowest resoloution :(, maybe i need a whole new computer?

OK Since i thought it was the HIgh Requirement games that were going to run slow, i tried Mafia the old game

RECCOMENDED REQUIREMENTS/MY SPEC

700Mhz + Pentium 3 or AMD Athlon Processor/ I have 2.4Ghz Celeron Cpu
128Mb Ram +/ I have 768Mb DDR Ram
32MB + Graphics Card/ i I have 256MB ATI 9550GE Graphics card
Direct X 8.1/ Direct X 9.0c

I Tried this game on low detail and it had such a BAD FRAMERATE iT was unplayable i cant beleive this im gona burn this crap computer, i have cleared my computer for viruses and spyware and all that malarky, I DONT KNOW WHATS RONG :mad: :mad: , could it be the hardware overheating the PSU? AHHHHHHHH HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Have you run virus scan recently?

Have you also run ad-aware scan recently?

Have you checked your incoming/outgoing packets and information from your NIC card?

Also. Do you have a LCD or CRT monitor?

If anything, uninstall and reinstall your Video Drivers (If you haven't already)

New hardware is nice yes, but you have to check and make sure it's not your connection or soemthing else first.

Run Virus Scan, ad-aware, and re-install your drivers.

You can go to this website for a free virus scan

housecall.trendmicro.com and they will do a free full-system scan.

Other then that, reformatting might help too, but a lot of people don't have drivers partiooned correectly, so you'll be wiping your entire system

Post back here with some results.

Well, if you're too lazy to put together a system and you live in the U.S, then let me suggest a computer that is custom-built.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ultra9000.asp?v=d

Just change the parts so that you have the Athlon 3500+ CPU, 7600GT and 1 Gigabyte of Corsair PC 3200 (400MHz) RAM and some other good stuff if you want. Keep the DVD + CD Roms that it has default as those are good for the price.(No monitor though since I'm assuming you already have one with yours) And it totals up to about $1,000. Also, get the coolin fan that is 9$ more than theon it already has beacuse that adds 3 case fans. Keep the power supply and most people will highly recommend getting a dual-core CPU (3800+ Dual-core is good for starters) I highly suggest you buy this sytem if you got that money (It ain't THAT much) and anyways your current system is for some reason screwed over? I mean you should be able to play Mafia with at least lowest settings on...you have like 3x the requirements to play ??? Change the motherboard if you want because the one you got is SLi and some people recommend not getting an SLi board and getting a powerful single-card motherboard+Powerful single video card (7600GT has EXTREME performance)There's a Gigabyte motherboard that you have to add 3 bucks to get instead of the default motherboard it has and most people say it's very good.(Not SLi)

Thanks for all the help, i think i might need 2 get a new system im in the U.K any places i can get a bargain?

I have run antivirus, spyware, adware, malware scans nearly every DAY they find nothing so i dont know what it is, i installed new drivers everything should be fine, the computer isnt slow just games, but 2day i tried 2 take my graphics card out and it was BURNING HOT, the metal bits they were so hot i dropped it, is that a bad sign i mean i havnt overclocked it or nothing? is it supposed to be that hot and could that be slowing down my games? thanks again for all the help i apreciate it.

oh and i have a CRT monitor which can only handle 85hz refresh rate if that helps???

"Have you checked your incoming/outgoing packets and information from your NIC
card?" i dont know if i have a NIC card never heard of it ??? yes im a newwwbieee :(

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/uk_ultra900.asp?v=d

Just change the parts so that you have these:

Case : NZXT LEXA Tower 400W Case W/ Side-panel Window
CPU : (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,&5.1Audio
Memory : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
Video Card : NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
Video Card 2 : NONE
Monitor & LCD : NONE
Hard Drive : Gaming Hard Drive (10,000RPM SATA150) (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD740GD)
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
Optical Drive : SONY DWQ-30A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
Sound : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Power Supply: **Cyberpower recommended** NZXT PF-500 500watt power supply

Should be under 1000 Euro. (I don't know if that's alot in U.K, if it is, tell me your budget and I'll customize you a nice system)

i dont have much to spend about £400 for a nice decent system im not looking for one with hardcore spec, just enough to run games smoothly even at low detail, any thing around that would be nice, i would have had more to spend but i just got this Hunk of junk computer about 6 months ago and its already gone bad so thats a bummer, thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back