Help with my disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

darknate

when i put in a disk with programs on it, my computer freezes on me, but when i take the disk out, my computer unfreezes and works fine. any suggestions or solutions guys and gals?

i think it's just with burned disks. i know it can read music cd's, but i haven't put one in in a while so i'll have to wait till i go home and put in a music cd and see if it works.

after checking if commmercial disks work The first thing to check would be the quality of the burned disks. if yuo have nero installed you can use the CD\DVD speed utility to check the quality of the burned disks. or you can use a utility like CDCheck to determine if any burned CD's are bad.

yes, commercial disks do work. and the burned disks i use is the high quality ones like maxell. i'll give it a try though, thanks iss.

Maxells are generally good quality disks but it is still possible to get a bad batch now and then. if it isnt the disk then it may be a windows file system problem. in which case you can try and solve it by uninstalling the IDE channel the drive is on in device manager under IDE ATA?ATAPI controllers and rebooting. windows will reinstall the IDE channel and the drive on start up.

i did that thing that type suggested and i put in the burned disk, my computer runs fine, but when i go into windows explorer to get into the disk itself and see whats on it so i can burn it to my computer, it freezes. and then i take the disk out, and it's like my computer is slow as ever, my mouse drags slow. iss can you give me some instructions on how to do that?

if commercial disks work fine then it doesnt sound like a problem with the drive. it sounds like bad media or a bad burn. are these regular CDR or DVDR disks or RW?

also, what happens if you try say a cd burnt by a friend? or your cds on a different pc? have you tried updating the firmware?

Lol... What is it a 4x? My dad has one of those lying out in his room, one of the first CD Burners to come out, $200 when he got it.... for a 4x.

The first CD burner I ever bought was the then new and blazingly fast Sony 10X. bought it on sale for 179.00

aight, got any tips on how i should explain it to my dad on how we need to get a new cd drive? besides that it's old.

Tell him the laser in the CD Drive is getting old and won't read lower quality discs now because of it. Lower quality being burned CDs. Also tell him you can get a very good CD Burner that is like 20x faster than it for a descent price.

That old burner we have is a HP something, its a light purple color.

aight, will do, thank you. i know this is in the wrong thread, but if anyone has avast, wat does it mean when u send it into the chest?

you can tell him the turth. CD Roms and Cd burners do not last forever. four to five years is probably about average on one that see's alot of use..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back