Help with my Sims game! PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
heya :)

i'v been trying to install my Sims game for AGES now, i hope somebody can help me!! :(

everytime i press the 'install' button, i get this message:

simshelp.jpg

for those of you who are not Dutch, it basicly says this:
" ... the systemfile is not qualified for MS-DOS- and Microsoft Windows. Please choose Close to shut down."

it's an original game (not downloaded or whatever) and it always worked fine!! help me pleeeease :(

Btw im new here, forgive me if im in the wrong section :blush: :blush:

Exactly as it says, your autoexec.nt file has become corrupt. Usually this happens because of virus and/or antivirus activity.

Get the original file from your Windows CD and copy it over the existing one.

so i checked my computer, and it looks like i don't even have that file on my computer right now. it must have been deleted at some point (dunno why :confused: ). is there any other way that i can get it (besides the windows cd), 'cause i dont have that cd here at my house :suspiciou

EDIT - I found some info on it, posting it in here incase anyone else has the same problem, thanks for your help :)

After a Windows XP SP2 upgrade (or being attacked by some malware) you may encounter a message about either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT being "...not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." The DOS 16-bit COMMAND.COM program and/or one of those files has become corrupted. Microsoft has a knowledgebase article on this. What it basically says is that you need to replace the files AUTOEXEC.NT, CONFIG.NT, and COMMAND.COM which are found in your Windows System32 folder with the same-named files found on your original OEM Windows XP CD-ROM. (Copies can also usually be found in the \Windows\Repair subdirectory if you can't find your original CD.) Also, some versions of the Windows XP SP2 update have code that will automatically delete the AUTOEXEC.NT file if found in the System32 folder on the theory that all software should be 32-bit and not 16-bit (as it older programs you might still want to run). If this happens to you try copying the AUTOEXEC.NT file to the System32 folder under the Windows folder and then right click on it, select Properties, and check the Read Only attribute. This should work but if it does not you will have to recopy the file to the proper directory after every restart of the computer. See the FAQ for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back