Help with New Radeon 9600 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWF318

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with my new video card. I bought an AGP Sapphire 9600 Pro (256). I bought it to replace an ATI 9600 Pro that crapped out. I uninstalled the old drivers, took the old card out, and put it the new one. It powers up but I get no signal whatsoever. It's just a blank screen and windows doesn't seem to boot. Any help would be appreciated.
My specs:
Windows XP SP2
Compaq 6027US
P4 2.0GHz
1.5 GB of RAM
PSU: 220w (Its very weak but I used to use older 9600Pro)

How did the old 9600 crap out? Burned up or just stopped producing video? The motherboard may be damaged now

Well it's not truly dead but it artifacts like crazy and I can't any games most of the time (Direct 3D not available) and when I can load up a game, it's unplayable. Tried different Catalyst Drivers but no luck. Could it be that the card is bad or is it probably a problem on my end?

I can put the old card in and it displays artifacted but the new one doesn't display at all. Monitor is in a standby-like situation.

The 9600 is old video technology, but I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB DDR myself. I need a better card to play the new games though...

I'd say that both video cards are defective at this point

Have you tried updating the chipset drivers

CPU to AGP2.0/3.0 or whatever you have

and did you go all the way back to catalyst 7.7

Thanks for help so far guys. My mobo is a crappy Compaq one and I can' seem to find new drivers for it. And yes, I even went all the way to CCC 6.11. The new card is DDR2; could that be a problem on my ancient pc?
Tmagic:Could it be defective even if the card itself powers on? If so, I'm going to RMA it back to Newegg while I still can.

Yes Beef they are old... My 9600 works perfectly, and it was an "open box" item from Newegg about 1 year ago...

and TW318, I'd bet it's your motherboard/memory or processor combo that's dieing, not the video cards

:blackeye: I can't replace this PC for a whole so I'm screwed. I'm going to RMA it on the chance that this one is defective. Since I can run the other 9600, I'm hoping this one was just bad. Thanks anyways guys. Hopefully the other one works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back