Help with Power Supply Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm by no means and expert and this is my first attempt at putting a computer all together, so bear with me please.

THE PROBLEM
My sister has a Dell 4600c, it's a low profile desktop. She wanted to see if she could put a new video card in it so she could play the sims. Well a regular sized video card won't fit in the case. So, she got a new case and video card and asked me to put all the parts into the new case for her. I put everything into the new case and wired everything up. There are two main power cables that plug into the motherboard. When I hook both up (A large cable, and a small 4 pin cable that hooks into the back near USB, Monitor output, etc.) The fans spin for a second and then quit. When I just hook up the main power all the fans spin, cd tray opens, hard drive spins, etc, but I get no output to a monitor. The new case came with its own power supply, which has this problem, so I even tried putting the old power supply into the new case and still get this problem. If anyone has any advice please let me know. My sister will be back in 2 days and needs the computer for school.

Ok, after researching a little more, let me clarify the problem. With only the main power cable connected to the motherboard, I get some activity with fans, devices and lights. If I hook the 4 pin CPU power cable up, The lights will flicker, the fans will spin for a second and then...nothing. If anyone knows anything please let me know

You probably fried the motherboard.
Dell PCs have their own wiring for connecting powersupplies (up until the Dimension 8200 I think, newer ones are supposed to be standard).
Connecting that new case's PSU made all the wrong connections on that Dell mobo.
If the original PSU does not work either, the mobo has had it, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back