Help With Router Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

ever since i installed this Linksys Wireless-G Braodband Router (model: WRT54G) my internet is slow and i notice a lot of my gun shots (video games) do not register... i asked my professor about this and he said it could be acting as a firewall, if this is true, how do i disable the firewall on the ROUTER

please help me quick... i have to know by tomorrow
because if this keeps up, we are taking this laptop and router back tomorrow, and tomorrow will be the 30th day of purchasing (30 day back)

s3xynanigoat said:
What are the specs on the machine and what game are you playing?

what does this have to do with disabling a firewall on a router?

amd 2600+ 2.08ghz
1gb ram
wd 80gb

new ps and mobo, dont know their names, but i doubt they are important in turning a firewall off

cs, ut, hl2

What makes you so certain it is a firewall causing this? After all.. your teacher only said it COULD be.

No need to be rude when I ask you a question. That in mind, go ask your teacher how to disable a firewall. Or maybe there is someone else here who is willing to answer your question.

Access your router's setup page through any browser on a machine thats connected to it. Usually 192.168.1.1 (I think, mine is different, I set it up that way). Anyway, in there, fish around and find a thing called DMZ. Set the IP of the comp (local IP) you are gaming on to be in the DMZ. That should let everything pass through, ie- stuff is not firewalled.

hey SNGX1275

i went to the ip in the address (the one for me)
and i looked everywhere, clicked on every link and i saw nothing that said "DMZ" anywhere

This really depends on your exact version of WRT54G, look under security or applications. Or do the unthinkable and Read The Friendly Manual.

Did you get your router used? Thay all come with some silly CD containing useless crap, including manuals in PDF format.

You can find all manuals online. Quite amazingly Linksys offers them on their website.

I have the same router (WRT54G, although mine is firmware version v2.02.2) I have the DMZ host running on my computer. Setting it up is quite simple.

To activate it, go into your router setup menu, click "applications and gaming", then click "DMZ", input your computer's IP (last 3 digits only), and check the "enable" button, then save changes.

If your router's setup screen doesn't have the "applications and gaming" tab, you may have an older version where you have to click the "advanced" tab, then click the "port forwarding" tab, and there is a DMZ host option there.

One thing to note though, enabling the DMZ host does NOT disable the firewall, it simply forwards all ports to a single machine. I have mine running because i'm too lazy to set up port forwarding for all my games and programs.. lol

I don't think enabling the DMZ host will improve your game experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back